AskDocDoc
FREE!Ask Doctors — 24/7
Connect with Doctors 24/7. Ask anything, get expert help today.
500 doctors ONLINE
#1 Medical Platform
Ask question for free
00H : 35M : 16S
background image
Click Here
background image
Lung & Breathing Conditions
Question #16455
317 days ago
387

breathing issues reasons

Rhea

I am really worried about these breathing issues I’ve been having the last couple of weeks. It started off just feeling a bit winded after walking my dog, which I thought was normal, but then it got worse. Like, sometimes I feel like I can’t catch my breath even when I’m just sitting down watching TV. I’ve tried to pay attention to see if there are specific moments when these breathing issues happen. Occasionally, I notice it’s worse when I’m lying down or when I get a bit stressed. Could that even be a thing? I googled “breathing issues reasons” and saw everything from allergies to asthma to potentially more serious stuff, and honestly, that's freaking me out! I saw a doc last week who mentioned asthma might be a possibility, but I really don’t have the classic symptoms, you know? No wheezing or that kind of thing. Just these persistent breathing issues that seem to come and go. I’m really trying to figure out what the underlying breathing issues reasons are, so I want to be prepared when I go back to the doctor. Has anyone else dealt with something similar? What could these breathing issues really mean? Am I overthinking this? Any advice would be super helpful!

FREE
Question is closed
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously
Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential.
No sign-up needed.
CTA image asteriksCTA image

Doctors' responses

Breathing issues like the ones you’re describing can indeed have a wide range of causes, so it’s good you’re being proactive about finding the underlying reason. It’s possible that this could be related to asthma, but it could also be something else like anxiety or even a cardiac issue, which can sometimes mimic respiratory problems. Since you’ve noted these episodes occurring more when you’re lying down or stressed, that can point towards certain conditions. For instance, anxiety and panic attacks often exacerbate these sensations, causing a sensation of shortness of breath even without exertion. On the other hand, conditions like heart failure or pulmonary conditions often lead to shortness of breath especially when lying flat due to fluid build-up affecting the lungs.

Keeping track of exactly when these episodes occur, their duration and any accompanying symptoms will be useful information for your doctor. They may suggest testing such as pulmonary function tests, an EKG, or possibly imaging like a chest X-ray to rule out structural lung issues. Pay attention to any additional symptoms like chest pain, dizziness, or a persistent cough which might necessitate more urgent investigation. You aren’t overthinking, it’s important to follow up on this. Until you see the doctor, managing stress and anxiety could help alleviate some symptoms; techniques like deep breathing exercises or mindfulness might be beneficial. If you notice signs of more serious conditions - like severe shortness of breath, chest pain, or blue lips - seek immediate medical attention. These can be red-flag symptoms that require urgent evaluation.

21816 answered questions
91% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously

Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential. No sign-up needed.

About our doctors

Only qualified doctors who have confirmed the availability of medical education and other certificates of medical practice consult on our service. You can check the qualification confirmation in the doctor's profile.


I have cough I’m a smoker when I deep breath I cough
Sir mughe sas lene m takleef hoti hai pr m montair lc tablet jab leta hu tu bilkul theek ho jata hu
How to reduce chest pain and fainting
What is asthma and what are its causes, symptoms, and management options for children and adults?
Advice on Managing Persistent Shortness of Breath
Sharp Chest Pain When Coughing
Heavy feeling in chest and difficulty breathing after eating
Feeling Weak with Chest Pressure and Throat Pain
Breathing Difficulties After Substance Use
What to do if I have breathing problems and chest pain before and after eating?
पुरानी खांसी (कफ के साथ) के इलाज के लिए परामर्श
What should I do if I have trouble breathing and a heavy head after getting punched in the face?
What could be causing chest tightness and breathing problems before and after eating?
Cough with phlegm and chest pain after using asthma inhaler – is this normal?”
Breathing Issues After Indoor Climbing
Feeling heaviness in the chest and difficulty belching
Concerns about my child's cough and breathing
What causes tightness in the chest and shortness of breath when climbing stairs?
كيف اعرف أن الوجع خطيرومحتاج دكتور
Persistent Cough and Rib Pain After Flu
What should I do if I've been feeling weird and experiencing breathing issues after climbing?
how to reduce pain, I have Anemia and chest pain
What to do for my 7-year-old daughter who has a persistent cough that worsens with activity?
Breathing problem chest pain or
What causes sudden feelings of suffocation and difficulty breathing when crying or angry?
What causes sudden feelings of suffocation and difficulty breathing when upset?
What to do if I'm experiencing heavy breathing, nausea while eating, and dizziness when not lying down?
why my right side chest is paining
copd vs asthma difference
pulmonology diseases