AskDocDoc
/
/
/
Why am I having severe period cramps!?
FREE!Ask Doctors — 24/7
Connect with Doctors 24/7. Ask anything, get expert help today.
500 doctors ONLINE
#1 Medical Platform
Ask question for free
00H : 16M : 07S
background image
Click Here
background image
Gynecology & Pregnancy Care
Question #10908
1 year ago
514

Why am I having severe period cramps!?

shreya

My periods are regular, but sometimes the flow is very heavy and I get severe cramps. The pain spreads to my lower abdomen, back, and thighs, and I feel very weak and exhausted. Sometimes the pain is so bad that I can’t do normal activities.I understand cramps are common, but my pain is affecting my daily life, so I need to find the exact cause and get relief.

Age: 19
Cramps
$7.5
Question is closed
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously
Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential.
No sign-up needed.
CTA image asteriksCTA image

Doctors' responses

Hello dear Please be aware See as per clinical history it seems general body aches due to periods. I think you just need to take multivitamin therapy and vitamin d sachets to counteract the hormonal alterations However for confirmation please get following tests done Pelvic scan Urine analysis Kindly share the details with gynacolologist in person for better clarification Regards

3585 answered questions
70% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies

Primary dysmenorrhea

Caused by excess prostaglandin release during periods (hormones that make the uterus contract more strongly).

Pain starts 1–2 days before or at the start of bleeding, lasts 2–3 days.

Often no underlying disease.

Pelvic ultrasound to check for fibroids, ovarian cysts, or adenomyosis

Rx Tab meflospas sos when pain Long-term prevention

Magnesium-rich foods (nuts, seeds, leafy greens) can help reduce cramps.

Omega-3 fatty acids (flax seeds, walnuts, fish if non-veg) have anti-inflammatory effect.

Maintain healthy weight and do regular exercise – reduces prostaglandin levels.

546 answered questions
74% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies

Severe cramps with heavy flow at 19 could be primary dysmenorrhea or sometimes due to conditions like endometriosis or fibroids. Please consult a gynecologist for an ultrasound and evaluation, as effective treatments (pain-relief medicines, hormonal options, or lifestyle changes) are available. Meanwhile, applying heat, regular exercise, and iron-rich foods may help reduce pain and weakness.

1265 answered questions
48% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies

Investigation

CBC Serum Ferritin TSH, Free T4 Pelvic ultrasound CRP Thank you

2117 answered questions
59% best answers

0 replies

Severe period cramps, known as dysmenorrhea, can be incredibly disruptive. When cramps are as intense as you describe, it could be due to primary dysmenorrhea, often linked to the production of prostaglandins, chemicals that cause uterine contractions. However, significant pain could also be secondary dysmenorrhea, stemming from conditions like endometriosis, uterine fibroids, or adenomyosis. Given the intensity of your symptoms, it’s vital to consult a healthcare provider for a thorough evaluation. They may decide to do a pelvic exam, ultrasound, or possibly an MRI to discern any underlying conditions. Keep track of your symptoms, noting when they start, their severity, duration, and any activity or remedies that alleviate or worsen the pain. Over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medications like ibuprofen can help reduce prostaglandin production and relieve pain, but ensure you use them as directed by your doctor, especially if used frequently. Lifestyle adjustments like regular exercise and heat therapy (e.g., heating pads) are often beneficial too, as they improve circulation and relax the muscles. If you’re using hormonal contraceptives, these can help manage menstrual symptoms by regulating or preventing ovulation. However, if your condition is significantly affecting your quality of life, your healthcare provider might discuss other treatments such as hormonal therapies or, in some cases, surgical options depending on the underlying cause. If the pain is suddenly severe, accompanied by fever or unusual discharge, or if there’s significant change in your menstrual pattern, seek medical attention promptly as these could be red flags for other serious conditions.

21794 answered questions
91% best answers

0 replies
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously

Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential. No sign-up needed.

About our doctors

Only qualified doctors who have confirmed the availability of medical education and other certificates of medical practice consult on our service. You can check the qualification confirmation in the doctor's profile.


Pregnancy test positive aaya hai aur abortion pill ke liye
Is my hymen broken after high bidet pressure?
What to do if my period is late after using a condom for the first time?
About I'm pregnant or not confirming
Am I pregnant and what are my options?
Can I take mifepristone first and then the remaining pills with gaps in between?
What to do if my girlfriend missed her period after using withdrawal method of contraception?
Concern About Menstrual Delay After Intercourse
What should I do if I have severe headaches, dizziness, and shortness of breath while on Sprintec?
What to do if my period is late and irregular after March 29th?
Dear sir ham abortion karana chahte hai
Pregnancy related concern and wanted to be sure
Period hasnotyet come what should
What could be the cause of my irregular periods and prolonged bleeding after two months without menstruation?
How to identify the exact reason of missing periods
Clotrimazole 250 mg vaginal suppositories are recommended?
Periods are not coming more than 2 days
Delay in getting periods from past few months
Irregular periods past 2 years?
Is am pregnant ? Please help me
Recovery Timeline After Home Abortion with Pills
I am a female. My period is delayed / not coming.
What does it mean if my period is 13 days late with brown spotting after having sex with a condom?
How increase breast size, currentlysize is 32 and age is 23
I'm suffering from vaginal itching and white discharge
Issue related to periods delayed
Support to see if a have vaginal candidiasis
Why Iam having irregular periods?
vinegar pregnancy test
Abortion in 11 weeks -18weeks.....