AskDocDoc
/
/
/
What are the 3 causes of COPD?
FREE!Ask Doctors — 24/7
Connect with Doctors 24/7. Ask anything, get expert help today.
500 doctors ONLINE
#1 Medical Platform
Ask question for free
00H : 55M : 31S
background image
Click Here
background image
Lung & Breathing Conditions
Question #12564
352 days ago
463

What are the 3 causes of COPD?

Amara

I am trying to figure out some stuff about my dad's health. He's been having these breathing issues for a while now, and the doctors mentioned something about COPD, which I guess stands for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. At first, I didn't think too much about it, but the more I read, the more confused I got. I mean, What are the 3 causes of COPD? He's a smoker, and I know that’s a biggie. But I also heard secondhand smoke could be an issue too. We have a family friend who also has COPD but hasn't smoked at all, which was kind of surprising! Oh, and he works in a factory where there’s lots of dust and chemicals - I can't help but wonder if that plays a role in his condition. It just got me thinking and now I'm worried about my dad trying to catch his breath all the time. But what are the 3 causes of COPD anyway? I feel like there’s just so much to learn and no one seems to really explain it clearly. How do we even know which cause might be affecting his health the worst? I just want to understand more so we can help him out!

FREE
Question is closed
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously
Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential.
No sign-up needed.
CTA image asteriksCTA image

Doctors' responses

When it comes to COPD, or Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, there are a few key causes to be aware of. The first and most significant one is smoking. Tobacco smoke is by far the leading cause of COPD, and it seems like your dad fits into this category given he’s a smoker. Smoking damages the airways and alveoli in the lungs, leading to their gradual deterioration and causing symptoms like breathlessness. The second cause involves occupational exposure to dusts and chemicals, which you mentioned in relation to your dad’s job. Inhaling fumes, vapors, and dusts over a long period can lead to inflammation and damage to the lungs, similar to the effects of smoking. This is seen in certain industries where individuals are exposed to harmful substances consistently over time. The third cause is exposure to indoor and outdoor air pollutants, including secondhand smoke. People who have never smoked can develop COPD if they’re in environments with poor air quality. Even indoor air pollution from wood burning, cooking with certain fuels, or poor ventilation can contribute. It’s important to note that genetics may also play a role. A deficiency of a protein called alpha-1 antitrypsin, for example, is a hereditary condition that can increase the risk of COPD, even in non-smokers. Understanding which factors might be affecting your dad involves discussing his lifestyle, work environment, and any familial predispositions with his healthcare provider. They may suggest strategies to reduce exposure to harmful substances or recommend treatments that help manage symptoms and improve quality of life, like pulmonary rehabilitation or bronchodilators. Getting regular check-ups and open communications with healthcare professionals will be essential in managing his COPD effectively and personalizing his treatment plan.

21706 answered questions
91% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously

Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential. No sign-up needed.

About our doctors

Only qualified doctors who have confirmed the availability of medical education and other certificates of medical practice consult on our service. You can check the qualification confirmation in the doctor's profile.


Hello, I noticed light, bright red blood with bowel movements. It came for two days, disappeared for three days, and now returned.
How can I get rid of breathing trouble?
Advice for Managing Persistent Shortness of Breath
Heavy feeling in chest and difficulty breathing after eating
What to do for sudden feelings of suffocation when angry or crying?
What should I do if I have trouble breathing and a heavy head after getting punched in the face?
What to do if I have breathing problems and chest pain before and after eating?
Asthma problems 40 year old woman
Experiencing Shortness of Breath and Coughing Up Blood
Breathing Difficulties After Substance Use
पुरानी खांसी (कफ के साथ) के इलाज के लिए परामर्श
Experiencing Breathing Issues and Coughing Up Blood
What causes tightness in the chest and shortness of breath when climbing stairs?
كيف اعرف أن الوجع خطيرومحتاج دكتور
What to do for persistent breathing problems and cough after using Symbicort for 4 years?
Do I have asthma because spirometry done
Ik heb constant de behoefte om te hoesten, wat kan ik doen?
What to do if I'm experiencing heavy breathing, nausea while eating, and dizziness when not lying down?
What to do for my 7-year-old daughter who has a persistent cough that worsens with activity?
What should I do if I've been feeling weird and experiencing breathing issues after climbing?
how to reduce pain, I have Anemia and chest pain
how to use adulsa leaves for cough
problem in breathing reasons
causes of lung infection
lung infection causes
pulmonary rehabilitation
asthma copd difference
copd cause
asthma konsi bimari hai
breathing problem symptoms