AskDocDoc
/
/
/
fungal infection ear symptoms
FREE!Ask Doctors — 24/7
Connect with Doctors 24/7. Ask anything, get expert help today.
500 doctors ONLINE
#1 Medical Platform
Ask question for free
00H : 14M : 29S
background image
Click Here
background image
General Health
Question #12943
353 days ago
564

fungal infection ear symptoms

Sara

I am really worried about something that's been going on with my ear. For like a month now, I’ve been dealing with these weird symptoms that feel like a fungal infection. At first, I thought it was just allergies because I had some itching and a little swelling, but now, it’s like a whole lot worse. The itchy feeling keeps coming back and goes to this weird pain that makes it tough to concentrate. I checked a mirror and even saw some discharge, which just freaked me out more. A friend mentioned that these might be dusty fungal infection ear symptoms, and honestly, that scared me. I went to my doctor and they just said it’s probably an infection but didn’t really specify what kind. I'm thinking maybe it's a fungal one? How do I know for sure if these fungal infection ear symptoms are what I’m actually dealing with? Should I push for another kind of test? I just want this to stop, and I’m super scared it could turn into something more serious! Has anyone else experienced these fungal infection ear symptoms before? What did you do? Please help!!

FREE
Question is closed
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously
Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential.
No sign-up needed.
CTA image asteriksCTA image

Doctors' responses

Your symptoms could indeed be consistent with a fungal ear infection, also known as otomycosis, though it’s crucial to differentiate it from bacterial ear infections as they require different treatments. Fungal infections of the ear often present with persistent itching, a feeling of fullness, and sometimes a sharp intermittent pain. The discharge you mentioned is a key symptom—it can range from white to black, and is sometimes described as having a fluffy appearance, similar to what mold might look like. Given your persistent symptoms and lack of clarity from your last visit, it would be reasonable to return to your doctor and explain the ongoing issues. You could request an ear swab to be sent for specific testing to identify the type of infection, whether fungal or bacterial.

In situations where you suspect an incorrect diagnosis or treatment, or when symptoms persist despite treatment, advocate for further investigation, such as a referral to an otolaryngologist (ENT specialist) who can conduct a more comprehensive examination. In the meantime, avoid inserting anything into your ear, as this could exacerbate the problem or cause harm. Keeping the ear dry is essential if you suspect a fungal infection—try using a shower cap when bathing and avoid swimming until you’ve seen a specialist. Over-the-counter drops are available, but using them without a confirmed diagnosis might delay appropriate treatment. Time is of the essence, so if your symptoms escalate, particularly if you experience increased pain or difficulty hearing, seek immediate follow-up care. Remember, prompt and precise identification of the infection type ensures the best treatment pathway and prevents complications.

21776 answered questions
91% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously

Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential. No sign-up needed.

About our doctors

Only qualified doctors who have confirmed the availability of medical education and other certificates of medical practice consult on our service. You can check the qualification confirmation in the doctor's profile.


Dog vaccine related issues regarding symptoms
What to do for neck pain that radiates to the right arm and causes dizziness and nausea?
My stomache hurts very bad. Sometimes I feel pukish and unable to eat
Constipation , sickness, back pain
How do I know if I have diabetes at age 75 with an A1c of 5.8%?
Painful hunger panés, what couleur be causing thème ? Thanks
What could be causing left side chest pain in a 25-year-old male runner on mephenatermin sulfate for 7 months?
Comment réduire les sensations dans mon sex
Comment savoir si c'est de la dysautonomie ?
Post menopausal spotting after 12 months of last period.
Is it normal for my right hand to look different after surgery and why are my veins more visible?
What multivitamins can help with cervical pain, neck pain, and headaches for a 33-year-old who works on a computer?
Cholestrol or pero ghav m se pani ana ghav khade nhi bhare jate h
What is the safest anti-aging drug for the body?
Como dejar de ahogarme seguidamente creo que es con mi saliva
How to reduce high blood sugar levels of 350 with diabetes while taking Dapagliflozin, Vidagliptin, and Glimepiride?
why my ears are itching
How Do You Treat Swollen Legs?
good juice for liver
Which yoga helps in reducing BP?
is apple good for cold
how to reduce body heat in summer
which utensils are best for cooking
which juice is best for energy
is sugar cane juice good for health
can we drink neem juice during periods
smoking cause back pain
homemade collagen drink
Which yoga helps lower cholesterol?
how to relieve jaw pain from sinus infection