AskDocDoc
FREE!Ask Doctors — 24/7
Connect with Doctors 24/7. Ask anything, get expert help today.
500 doctors ONLINE
#1 Medical Platform
Ask question for free
00H : 27M : 06S
background image
Click Here
background image
Gynecology & Pregnancy Care
Question #13435
350 days ago
532

is onion good in pregnancy

Meera

I am in my second trimester and starting to wonder about my diet. A friend told me that is onion good in pregnancy, and I remember my mom always using onions in cooking. Lately, I've been craving that flavor, but I’ve also heard mixed things about different foods. Sometimes I feel like I don’t know what’s safe anymore! I read somewhere that onions can have health benefits and may help with digestion, which seems important, especially since I've been dealing with some stomach issues. Then I heard that some people think is onion good in pregnancy because of its vitamins and minerals. But on the other hand, I've come across claims it could cause heartburn, which is already an issue for me since I got pregnant. I’ve been eating them pretty regularly and just wondering if that's okay or if I should cut back. Can anyone share if is onion good in pregnancy? Are there specific types or amounts I should consider? Just trying to make sure I'm making healthy choices for me and my baby, you know? I'd appreciate any tips or experiences!

FREE
Question is closed
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously
Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential.
No sign-up needed.
CTA image asteriksCTA image

Doctors' responses

Onions can be a healthy addition to your diet during pregnancy as they are packed with beneficial nutrients such as vitamins C and B6, folate, and fiber, which can aid digestion. They also contain antioxidants which are considered helpful for your overall health. As you mentioned digestion, it’s worth noting that onions could indeed support digestive health due to their fiber content, potentially helping with the common pregnancy issue of constipation. However, the flip side is that onions can also be a trigger for heartburn, primarily when consumed raw, due to their sulfur compounds which can relax the lower esophageal sphincter. This might be particularly relevant since you’ve been experiencing heartburn during your pregnancy. If onions seem to exacerbate this for you, it might be helpful to eat them in moderation or perhaps try cooking them well, as this can sometimes reduce their propensity to cause acid reflux.

Considering the craving for that onion flavor, if raw onions are an issue, you might find cooked onions or shallots as a gentler alternative, potentially providing the flavor you enjoy with less discomfort. However, the amount of onion you’d need to consume to cause a significant effect is generally quite high, so they are typically safe in normal culinary amounts. It’s also good to ensure that onions are consumed as part of a balanced diet rich in a variety of nutrients to support both your and the baby’s health. If you’re ever uncertain about specific dietary changes, it may be best to discuss this with your healthcare provider, given your ongoing stomach issues, to personalize advice to your particular needs.

21816 answered questions
91% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies

Onions are a healthy option in pregnancy. The development of heartburn depends on the amount of spices used.

10 answered questions
80% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously

Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential. No sign-up needed.

About our doctors

Only qualified doctors who have confirmed the availability of medical education and other certificates of medical practice consult on our service. You can check the qualification confirmation in the doctor's profile.


Vaginal skin peeling with cuts,itchy skin and burning and have smell
Is my hymen broken after high bidet pressure?
Advice on Stopping Bleeding While Away from Home
Concern About Delayed Period After Taking I-Pill
What to do if my period is delayed and flow is irregular with stomach pain?
What is causing my lower abdominal pain and irregular bleeding after unprotected sex?
I want to postpone my periods which is supposed to come next week.what medicine should I take?
Pregnancy related concern and wanted to be sure
Is everything normal with my 13-week pregnancy measurements like NT, NB, FHR, and CRL?
Period hasnotyet come what should
What to do for severe menstrual pain with nausea and dizziness?
Why my period is delayed for this july month
Concerns About Irregular Periods and Painful White Spots on Nipples
Delay in getting periods from past few months
Is am pregnant ? Please help me
What to do for severe chest pain and brown vomiting with blood clots after giving birth?
What to do if I missed my period after sex and feel very tired at 19?
Can I have surgery while on estradiol for gender transition, or do I need to stop taking it due to blood clot risks?
Concern About Delayed Period and Negative Pregnancy Tests
Is it possible to have a miscarriage if fetal heart rate dropped from 106 to 59 after bleeding at 6 weeks pregnant?
Can I be pregnant with PCOS....................
পিরিয়ড ২ মাস ১৫ দিন বেশি সময় ধরে নেই, পরামর্শ চাই
Concerns About Vaginal Discharge and Discomfort
How to terminate Unwanted pregnancy
Help with Prolonged Menstrual Bleeding
What should I do after a positive pregnancy test and taking emergency contraception without an ultrasound?
Abortion in 11 weeks -18weeks.....
Doubt about periods and pergancy
How to delay my period for a trip on June 3rd?
What to do if I missed my period and found tissue after unprotected sex?