AskDocDoc
FREE!Ask Doctors — 24/7
Connect with Doctors 24/7. Ask anything, get expert help today.
500 doctors ONLINE
#1 Medical Platform
Ask question for free
00H : 27M : 32S
background image
Click Here
background image
Gynecology & Pregnancy Care
Question #13515
349 days ago
461

sooji in pregnancy

Mira

I am currently in my second trimester and been doing tons of reading about diets during pregnancy. Honestly, I keep coming across stuff about sooji in pregnancy and I’m a bit confused. I mean, I grew up eating sooji for breakfast, like upma and halwa, and loved it! But now I’m worried if it’s really safe or even good for me and the baby. I heard it is rich in carbohydrates and might provide energy, which sounds great, but then I saw some things online saying it could be heavy and might cause digestive issues. Like, what if it’s not alright and my baby needs more nutrients? I tried asking my doc but they just kinda brushed it off saying everything in moderation is fine, which is like… okay? But I keep hearing mixed opinions about sooji in pregnancy. Does it contain any essential nutrients that I should know about? What about fiber content? I also didn’t want to overdo it and end up feeling sluggish, you know? Like, how much is too much? Should I pair it with something else to balance it out? It’s just kind of stressin me out! Would really appreciate any insights from you guys on this!

FREE
Question is closed
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously
Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential.
No sign-up needed.
CTA image asteriksCTA image

Doctors' responses

Sooji, or semolina, can definitely be part of a balanced diet during pregnancy. It’s primarily known for being rich in carbohydrates, which provides a good source of energy particularly important as your body works to support both you and your baby’s growth. However, by itself, sooji isn’t particularly nutrient-dense concerning some essential vitamins and minerals necessary during pregnancy. That’s why it’s useful to pair it with other nutrient-rich foods. For instance, when making upma, you can add plenty of vegetables like carrots, peas, and spinach. This brings in more vitamins, minerals, and fiber, which not only enhances the nutritional profile but may also help alleviate constipation, a common issue due to pregnancy hormones. Including legumes or nuts can boost the protein content as well.

While semolina can be a source of energy, moderation remains key—just like your doctor mentioned. Eating it excessively might contribute to excessive weight gain or make you feel a bit sluggish because its primary component is refined carbohydrate. If your meals feel too heavy or leave you tired, try balancing your portion sizes or including a mixture of whole grains like quinoa or millet throughout your diet. As for digestive concerns, if you experience bloating or heavy feelings after eating, pay attention to portion size and pair with those high-fiber veggies. Remember, diverse foods ensure a well-rounded intake of nutrients, so while sooji can form a part of your meals, make sure to include plenty of fruits, vegetables, proteins, and healthy fats throughout your day. If you have more specific health concerns, discussing your entire dietary pattern with a dietitian or your doctor could offer personalized advice tailored to your needs.

21816 answered questions
91% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies

Sooji is a good source of iron, proteins and fibres and can be taken during pregnancy without any problems. However if you are diabetic or have high sugar levels better to consult a dietician about the intake.

10 answered questions
80% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously

Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential. No sign-up needed.

About our doctors

Only qualified doctors who have confirmed the availability of medical education and other certificates of medical practice consult on our service. You can check the qualification confirmation in the doctor's profile.


Vaginal skin peeling with cuts,itchy skin and burning and have smell
Is my hymen broken after high bidet pressure?
Advice on Stopping Bleeding While Away from Home
Concern About Delayed Period After Taking I-Pill
What to do if my period is delayed and flow is irregular with stomach pain?
What is causing my lower abdominal pain and irregular bleeding after unprotected sex?
I want to postpone my periods which is supposed to come next week.what medicine should I take?
Pregnancy related concern and wanted to be sure
Is everything normal with my 13-week pregnancy measurements like NT, NB, FHR, and CRL?
Period hasnotyet come what should
What to do for severe menstrual pain with nausea and dizziness?
Why my period is delayed for this july month
Concerns About Irregular Periods and Painful White Spots on Nipples
Delay in getting periods from past few months
Is am pregnant ? Please help me
What to do for severe chest pain and brown vomiting with blood clots after giving birth?
What to do if I missed my period after sex and feel very tired at 19?
Can I have surgery while on estradiol for gender transition, or do I need to stop taking it due to blood clot risks?
Concern About Delayed Period and Negative Pregnancy Tests
Is it possible to have a miscarriage if fetal heart rate dropped from 106 to 59 after bleeding at 6 weeks pregnant?
Can I be pregnant with PCOS....................
পিরিয়ড ২ মাস ১৫ দিন বেশি সময় ধরে নেই, পরামর্শ চাই
Concerns About Vaginal Discharge and Discomfort
How to terminate Unwanted pregnancy
Help with Prolonged Menstrual Bleeding
What should I do after a positive pregnancy test and taking emergency contraception without an ultrasound?
Abortion in 11 weeks -18weeks.....
Doubt about periods and pergancy
How to delay my period for a trip on June 3rd?
What to do if I missed my period and found tissue after unprotected sex?