AskDocDoc
/
/
/
Concern About Delayed Period After Taking I-Pill
FREE!Ask Doctors — 24/7
Connect with Doctors 24/7. Ask anything, get expert help today.
500 doctors ONLINE
#1 Medical Platform
Ask question for free
00H : 34M : 43S
background image
Click Here
background image
Gynecology & Pregnancy Care
Question #24841
238 days ago
638

Concern About Delayed Period After Taking I-Pill

Client_471bb5

My period is delayed by 1 week and we have checked it twice, both times it is showing negative or I had taken I-pill before this or it has been 30 days since I took I-pill or my period has not come yet

How regular are your menstrual cycles?:

- Very regular, usually on time

Have you experienced any other symptoms?:

- No other symptoms

When was your last menstrual period?:

- 1-2 months ago
$7.5
Question is closed
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously
Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential.
No sign-up needed.
CTA image asteriksCTA image

Doctors' responses

Hello

If your pregnancy tests are negative twice and it has been 30 days after taking I-Pill, pregnancy is unlikely.

I-Pill contains high-dose levonorgestrel, which can delay your next period by 1–2 weeks, even if your cycles are usually regular.

What to do:

Wait another few days.

If period doesn’t come in 10–14 more days, repeat a pregnancy test (morning urine).

See a doctor if delay continues beyond 2 weeks or you develop pain/bleeding.

Most likely cause: hormonal disturbance from I-Pill.

I trust this helps Thank you Take care

1986 answered questions
57% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies

Since your periods are usually very regular but are now delayed by one week, and you have taken Levonorgestrel emergency contraception (I-pill) about 30 days ago, the delay is most likely caused by the emergency pill, not pregnancy.

Emergency contraceptive pills contain a high dose of hormones, which can:

delay your next period,

cause early or late bleeding,

change flow or spotting,

disturb the cycle for 1–2 months.

Because you already tested twice negative, pregnancy is unlikely, especially if the tests were done after the missed period.

What you should do now

Wait a few more days (periods can be delayed 7–14 days after I-pill)

If still no period after 10–14 more days, repeat a home pregnancy test

If no period for more than 6–8 weeks, see a gynecologist

2117 answered questions
59% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies

Taking the I-pill, also known as an emergency contraceptive pill, can sometimes lead to delayed menstruation, which is a common side effect. The hormones in the pill work to prevent pregnancy, but they can also temporarily disrupt your menstrual cycle. It’s fairly typical to experience a delay of a week or more. If you’ve taken two pregnancy tests and both are negative, pregnancy is less likely, especially if the tests were done a few days apart and after the expected date of your period. However, timing when you take the test does matter; the most accurate results usually come from testing about a week after a missed period.

If your period doesn’t come within a week or two, or if you begin experiencing any concerning symptoms such as severe abdominal pain, it’s advisable to reach out to a healthcare provider. They may recommend further tests or evaluations to rule out other potential causes for the delay, like hormonal imbalances or ovarian issues. While waiting, try to maintain a balanced diet, stay hydrated, and manage stress, as these factors can also influence your menstrual cycle. If timing of your cycle becomes a frequent issue in the future, you might consider discussing more regular contraceptive methods with your doctor to better manage your reproductive health. In any case, if other symptoms develop or your situation changes significantly, getting a personalized medical review would be wise to ensure there’s no underlying issue needing attention.

21816 answered questions
91% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies

Hello dear See I pill is a type of ocd medication which interfere with ovulation and preventive reproductive cycle. In your case it is the impact of I pill only which is causing delayed periods I suggest you to please wait for maximum one week. If the period doesn’t come you need to consult gynaecologist in person for better clarity. Kindly avoid second i pill during this time. Hopefully you recover soon Regards

3585 answered questions
70% best answers

0 replies

Hello Thanks for explaining your situation clearly. Here’s what’s most likely happening:

Why your period is late:
Taking an I-pill (emergency contraceptive) can often cause your period to be delayed or irregular. This is a very common side effect and can last for a few weeks. Since you’ve taken two pregnancy tests after your missed period and both are negative, pregnancy is extremely unlikely.

What you should do:
- Wait a little longer—your period may come within the next 1–2 weeks as your hormones settle down. - Try to reduce stress, eat a balanced diet, and get enough rest, as these can also affect your cycle. - If your period still doesn’t come after 2 more weeks, or if you develop severe pain, heavy bleeding, or any unusual symptoms, it’s a good idea to see a doctor for a check-up.

Summary:
A late period after I-pill is very common and usually nothing to worry about if pregnancy tests are negative. Your cycle should return to normal soon.

Thank you

1361 answered questions
45% best answers

0 replies

Hello, thank you for sharing your concern. A delay of 1 week after taking an I-pill is quite common and usually not a sign of pregnancy.

Emergency contraceptive pills contain high-dose hormones that can temporarily disturb the menstrual cycle. Because of this: The next period may come earlier or later (up to 1–2 weeks), Flow may be lighter or heavier than usual, Mild spotting can also occur.

Repeat a urine pregnancy test 7 days after the last test if the period still does not come. If the test again remains negative, pregnancy is very unlikely.

If no period occurs even after 2 weeks of delay, kindly re-consult we will either give you medicine or do further evaluation.

Seek earlier consultation if: Severe lower abdominal pain, Persistent vomiting or dizziness, Pregnancy test becomes positive.

Most commonly, the cycle returns to normal within the next one or two cycles after taking the I-pill.

Feel free to reach out again.

Regards, Dr. Nirav Jain MBBS, D.Fam.Medicine

1117 answered questions
44% best answers

0 replies

A delayed period is common after taking an emergency pill (like I-pill) because it can disturb hormones and delay cycles even by 1–2 weeks. Since you tested negative twice after 30 days, pregnancy is very unlikely. If your period does not come within another 1–2 weeks, consult a gynecologist for evaluation and cycle regulation.

1265 answered questions
48% best answers

0 replies
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously

Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential. No sign-up needed.

About our doctors

Only qualified doctors who have confirmed the availability of medical education and other certificates of medical practice consult on our service. You can check the qualification confirmation in the doctor's profile.


Vaginal skin peeling with cuts,itchy skin and burning and have smell
Is my hymen broken after high bidet pressure?
Advice on Stopping Bleeding While Away from Home
Concerns About Irregular Periods and Weight Gain
What to do if my period is delayed and flow is irregular with stomach pain?
What is causing my lower abdominal pain and irregular bleeding after unprotected sex?
What are the reasons for missing my period for a month after a negative pregnancy test?
Pregnancy related concern and wanted to be sure
Period hasnotyet come what should
What to do for severe menstrual pain with nausea and dizziness?
Concerns About Irregular Periods and Painful White Spots on Nipples
Why my period is delayed for this july month
Delay in getting periods from past few months
Is am pregnant ? Please help me
Please help me i am suffering and I am afraid
What to do for severe chest pain and brown vomiting with blood clots after giving birth?
What to do if I missed my period after sex and feel very tired at 19?
Can I have surgery while on estradiol for gender transition, or do I need to stop taking it due to blood clot risks?
Concern About Delayed Period and Negative Pregnancy Tests
Is it possible to have a miscarriage if fetal heart rate dropped from 106 to 59 after bleeding at 6 weeks pregnant?
Can I be pregnant with PCOS....................
How to terminate Unwanted pregnancy
What should I do after a positive pregnancy test and taking emergency contraception without an ultrasound?
Abortion in 11 weeks -18weeks.....
Doubt about periods and pergancy
How to delay my period for a trip on June 3rd?
What to do if I missed my period and found tissue after unprotected sex?
What could cause my period to start 10 days early with brown discharge and feelings of depression at 21 years old?
how can i check my pregnancy naturally at home?
What are the safe abortion options and process at 5-6 weeks of pregnancy?