AskDocDoc
/
/
/
how to treat loose motion in pregnancy
FREE!Ask Doctors — 24/7
Connect with Doctors 24/7. Ask anything, get expert help today.
500 doctors ONLINE
#1 Medical Platform
Ask question for free
00H : 26M : 12S
background image
Click Here
background image
Gynecology & Pregnancy Care
Question #13463
350 days ago
466

how to treat loose motion in pregnancy

Priya

I am 28 weeks pregnant and just a few days ago, I suddenly got this awful loose motion. At first, I thought it was something I ate cause I had pizza, but I went to the doc and he told me that it could be caused by hormones or maybe even just stress! I’ve tried drinking more water and eating bland food like toast and bananas, but nothing seems to help with how to treat loose motion in pregnancy. I feel tired and it’s kind of worrying me cause I don’t want anything to affect the baby. The loose motion isn't super frequent or anything, but it pops up at random times, and sometimes it's accompanied by this low-grade abdominal pain. I’m wondering if there are any safe remedies or tips on how to treat loose motion in pregnancy that won’t harm my baby? Can I take any over-the-counter meds or do I need to stick strictly to home remedies? I keep reading different stuff online, and I'm just confused. Some say probiotics can help, while others suggest this and that... ugh! Any advice on how to treat loose motion in pregnancy would be super helpful because I can't keep feeling like this. Thanks!

FREE
Question is closed
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously
Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential.
No sign-up needed.
CTA image asteriksCTA image

Doctors' responses

Addressing loose motion during pregnancy involves a balanced approach to alleviate the symptoms while ensuring safety for both you and your baby. First, it’s important to understand the potential causes, such as hormonal changes, dietary factors, or stress—each of which can certainly be at play here. For mild cases of diarrhea, sticking to a neutral diet like you’re doing with the toast and bananas is a good start. Continue staying hydrated with safe beverages like water, clear broths, or oral rehydration solutions if you’re losing fluids. It’s essential to replace both the fluids and the electrolytes you’re losing.

If the diarrhea persists beyond a couple of days or you start seeing signs of dehydration (like darker urine, dizziness, or excessive thirst), it’s important to reach out to your healthcare provider for further advice. Generally, when it comes to over-the-counter medications, you should avoid medications like loperamide unless specifically advised by a doctor familiar with your pregnancy. Some antidiarrheal medications can be harmful or have not been adequately tested in pregnant women. Is your abdominal pain frequent or worsening? Is there any fever, or if you would develop severe symptoms like blood in stools, it would be crucial to seek medical attention promptly as these could be signs of an infection that requires treatment.

Probiotics might help to restore healthy gut flora—those found in yogurt are generally considered safe during pregnancy; however, it’s recommended to consult with your healthcare provider before starting any supplements. Also, avoid fatty, greasy, or very fiber-rich foods until things settle, and consider smaller, more frequent meals. Monitoring your stress levels is also worthwhile, as stress can influence digestion. Engaging in relaxation techniques, like gentle prenatal yoga or breathing exercises, could be beneficial. Since loose stools can come from various sources, keeping an eye on your condition and staying in touch with your doctor is critical to ensure both your comfort and your baby’s safety.

21816 answered questions
91% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies

Avoid very spicy and oily foods. Probiotics like curd helps.If very frequent take ors every two hours.

10 answered questions
80% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously

Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential. No sign-up needed.

About our doctors

Only qualified doctors who have confirmed the availability of medical education and other certificates of medical practice consult on our service. You can check the qualification confirmation in the doctor's profile.


Vaginal skin peeling with cuts,itchy skin and burning and have smell
Is my hymen broken after high bidet pressure?
Advice on Stopping Bleeding While Away from Home
Concern About Delayed Period After Taking I-Pill
What to do if my period is delayed and flow is irregular with stomach pain?
What is causing my lower abdominal pain and irregular bleeding after unprotected sex?
I want to postpone my periods which is supposed to come next week.what medicine should I take?
Pregnancy related concern and wanted to be sure
Is everything normal with my 13-week pregnancy measurements like NT, NB, FHR, and CRL?
Period hasnotyet come what should
What to do for severe menstrual pain with nausea and dizziness?
Why my period is delayed for this july month
Concerns About Irregular Periods and Painful White Spots on Nipples
Delay in getting periods from past few months
Is am pregnant ? Please help me
What to do for severe chest pain and brown vomiting with blood clots after giving birth?
What to do if I missed my period after sex and feel very tired at 19?
Can I have surgery while on estradiol for gender transition, or do I need to stop taking it due to blood clot risks?
Concern About Delayed Period and Negative Pregnancy Tests
Is it possible to have a miscarriage if fetal heart rate dropped from 106 to 59 after bleeding at 6 weeks pregnant?
Can I be pregnant with PCOS....................
পিরিয়ড ২ মাস ১৫ দিন বেশি সময় ধরে নেই, পরামর্শ চাই
Concerns About Vaginal Discharge and Discomfort
How to terminate Unwanted pregnancy
Help with Prolonged Menstrual Bleeding
What should I do after a positive pregnancy test and taking emergency contraception without an ultrasound?
Abortion in 11 weeks -18weeks.....
Doubt about periods and pergancy
How to delay my period for a trip on June 3rd?
What to do if I missed my period and found tissue after unprotected sex?