AskDocDoc
/
/
/
which fruit should be avoided during pregnancy
FREE!Ask Doctors — 24/7
Connect with Doctors 24/7. Ask anything, get expert help today.
500 doctors ONLINE
#1 Medical Platform
Ask question for free
00H : 27M : 32S
background image
Click Here
background image
Gynecology & Pregnancy Care
Question #13583
349 days ago
486

which fruit should be avoided during pregnancy

Riya

I am really confused about what I should eat during my pregnancy. I thought I was doing great, but then my friend mentioned something about certain fruits I should avoid. I was snacking on some fresh pineapple the other day, and now I'm worried if that’s okay or not. I read somewhere that there are fruits that could cause issues. I mean, I love fruit, especially when it comes to smoothies and breakfast bowls. I just can’t shake off this nagging question: which fruit should be avoided during pregnancy? I heard mangoes are great and all, but what about the ones with high acidity? Also, I’m not a big fan of papaya, but, like, should I be super concerned about it? I keep wondering if I should just stick to apples and bananas for the next few months. Honestly, I'm feeling a bit lost and just want to make sure I'm giving my baby the best start possible. What do you all think? Have you come across specific fruits that are a no-go? I really hope this is something I can figure out and not stress too much about!

FREE
Question is closed
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously
Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential.
No sign-up needed.
CTA image asteriksCTA image

Doctors' responses

When it comes to fruits during pregnancy, the main goal is to ensure a balanced, nutritious diet while minimizing potential risks, although it’s common to hear mixed messages. Generally, most fruits are safe and provide essential vitamins and minerals vital for both you and your baby. However, some fruits are advised to be consumed with caution or in moderation due to the possible side effects.

Pineapple, for instance, has been traditionally believed to induce labor because it contains bromelain, an enzyme that can break down proteins and might cause mild uterine contractions. However, you would need to eat a very large quantity for it to have any significant effect. So enjoying pineapple in moderation, as you do in smoothies or breakfast bowls, is usually fine.

Papaya, especially the unripe or semi-ripe variety, is often highlighted as one to avoid. It contains latex, which can lead to uterine contractions. Ripe papaya, on the other hand, is generally considered safe in small amounts. Again, most concerns are about consuming it in large amounts, particularly when not fully ripe.

Another fruit often mentioned is grapes, primarily because of potential pesticide residues on their skin and their high natural sugar content. It’s a good idea to ensure grapes are thoroughly washed. With mangoes, just ensure they’re well-washed, especially if you’re peeling them yourself to avoid contamination, but they’re generally healthy.

Citrus fruits like oranges or lemons are nutritious, with plenty of vitamin C, though the acidity might cause heartburn in some pregnant women. It usually comes down to how they make you feel. Apples and bananas are indeed safe, widely consumed, and offer various nutritional benefits.

Overall, the key is variety and moderation. Being overly restrictive can lead to nutritional deficiencies. If you have specific concerns or medical conditions, consulting your healthcare provider for personalized advice is always a good step. They can provide guidance tailored to your needs, ensuring you and your baby get the best nutrition possible.

21816 answered questions
91% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies

Pineapple and papaya should be avoided. If your sugars are high better to avoid grapes mangoes and bananas. Apples and guava are the safest.

10 answered questions
80% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously

Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential. No sign-up needed.

About our doctors

Only qualified doctors who have confirmed the availability of medical education and other certificates of medical practice consult on our service. You can check the qualification confirmation in the doctor's profile.


Vaginal skin peeling with cuts,itchy skin and burning and have smell
Is my hymen broken after high bidet pressure?
Advice on Stopping Bleeding While Away from Home
Concern About Delayed Period After Taking I-Pill
What to do if my period is delayed and flow is irregular with stomach pain?
What is causing my lower abdominal pain and irregular bleeding after unprotected sex?
I want to postpone my periods which is supposed to come next week.what medicine should I take?
Pregnancy related concern and wanted to be sure
Is everything normal with my 13-week pregnancy measurements like NT, NB, FHR, and CRL?
Period hasnotyet come what should
What to do for severe menstrual pain with nausea and dizziness?
Why my period is delayed for this july month
Concerns About Irregular Periods and Painful White Spots on Nipples
Delay in getting periods from past few months
Is am pregnant ? Please help me
What to do for severe chest pain and brown vomiting with blood clots after giving birth?
What to do if I missed my period after sex and feel very tired at 19?
Can I have surgery while on estradiol for gender transition, or do I need to stop taking it due to blood clot risks?
Concern About Delayed Period and Negative Pregnancy Tests
Is it possible to have a miscarriage if fetal heart rate dropped from 106 to 59 after bleeding at 6 weeks pregnant?
Can I be pregnant with PCOS....................
পিরিয়ড ২ মাস ১৫ দিন বেশি সময় ধরে নেই, পরামর্শ চাই
Concerns About Vaginal Discharge and Discomfort
How to terminate Unwanted pregnancy
Help with Prolonged Menstrual Bleeding
What should I do after a positive pregnancy test and taking emergency contraception without an ultrasound?
Abortion in 11 weeks -18weeks.....
Doubt about periods and pergancy
How to delay my period for a trip on June 3rd?
What to do if I missed my period and found tissue after unprotected sex?