AskDocDoc
FREE!Ask Doctors — 24/7
Connect with Doctors 24/7. Ask anything, get expert help today.
500 doctors ONLINE
#1 Medical Platform
Ask question for free
00H : 35M : 14S
background image
Click Here
background image
Lung & Breathing Conditions
Question #20279
275 days ago
593

pulmonology diseases

Meera

I am really worried about some health issues I’ve been having related to my breathing. For the past few months, I've felt this tightness in my chest, and sometimes I get this weird dry cough that just won't go away. My doctor mentioned it could be related to pulmonology diseases but didn't dive too deep into it. I don’t smoke, and I thought I was pretty healthy, but I guess I am not sure if it’s something serious. I mean, I have been feeling winded just walking up the stairs, which is really not like me at all. My dad had some history with pulmonology diseases, which makes me even more anxious. Did a CT scan and some lung function tests but waiting on those results is killing me! I keep wondering what types of pulmonology diseases could cause these symptons. Like, could it be asthma, maybe COPD, or something else? Has anyone here dealt with similar issues? What should I be asking my doctor about this? Any experience or advice would be helpful, I just really want to understand what’s going on with my lungs!

FREE
Question is closed
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously
Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential.
No sign-up needed.
CTA image asteriksCTA image

Doctors' responses

Tightness in the chest combined with a persistent dry cough and shortness of breath can be concerning, especially considering a family history of pulmonology diseases. While specific diagnoses can only be confirmed with test results, it’s useful to consider some common conditions that could cause these symptoms. Asthma is a possibility, even if you’ve never experienced symptoms before, as it can develop at any age and is characterized by airway inflammation and narrowing, often due to triggers like allergens or infection. Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) is less likely for a non-smoker, but not impossible, especially if there’s a significant environmental exposure history or family predisposition. Interstitial lung diseases present another potential group, with systemic sclerosis or connective tissue disorders sometimes manifesting in this way. Also, given familial history, genetic conditions like Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency could be a factor, although they’re rarer. While waiting for test results, it’s important to note any patterns—like time of day symptoms worsen—or specific triggers to discuss with your doctor. Questions to consider asking could include: What other tests might provide clarity if current results are inconclusive? How should I manage symptoms in the meantime? Are there lifestyle modifications that could help alleviate symptoms or reduce risk while awaiting a definitive diagnosis? Engaging in these discussions will not only aid in reaching a diagnosis but also in understanding potential treatments and lifestyle changes that can support your respiratory health, even while awaiting those crucial test results.

21816 answered questions
91% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously

Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential. No sign-up needed.

About our doctors

Only qualified doctors who have confirmed the availability of medical education and other certificates of medical practice consult on our service. You can check the qualification confirmation in the doctor's profile.


I have cough I’m a smoker when I deep breath I cough
Sir mughe sas lene m takleef hoti hai pr m montair lc tablet jab leta hu tu bilkul theek ho jata hu
How to reduce chest pain and fainting
What is asthma and what are its causes, symptoms, and management options for children and adults?
Advice on Managing Persistent Shortness of Breath
Sharp Chest Pain When Coughing
Heavy feeling in chest and difficulty breathing after eating
Feeling Weak with Chest Pressure and Throat Pain
Breathing Difficulties After Substance Use
What to do if I have breathing problems and chest pain before and after eating?
पुरानी खांसी (कफ के साथ) के इलाज के लिए परामर्श
What should I do if I have trouble breathing and a heavy head after getting punched in the face?
What could be causing chest tightness and breathing problems before and after eating?
Cough with phlegm and chest pain after using asthma inhaler – is this normal?”
Breathing Issues After Indoor Climbing
Feeling heaviness in the chest and difficulty belching
Concerns about my child's cough and breathing
What causes tightness in the chest and shortness of breath when climbing stairs?
كيف اعرف أن الوجع خطيرومحتاج دكتور
Persistent Cough and Rib Pain After Flu
What should I do if I've been feeling weird and experiencing breathing issues after climbing?
how to reduce pain, I have Anemia and chest pain
What to do for my 7-year-old daughter who has a persistent cough that worsens with activity?
Breathing problem chest pain or
What causes sudden feelings of suffocation and difficulty breathing when crying or angry?
What causes sudden feelings of suffocation and difficulty breathing when upset?
What to do if I'm experiencing heavy breathing, nausea while eating, and dizziness when not lying down?
breathing issues reasons
why my right side chest is paining
copd vs asthma difference