AskDocDoc
/
/
/
I want tips on PCOS Management and the medicines or supplements that should be taken
FREE!Ask Doctors — 24/7
Connect with Doctors 24/7. Ask anything, get expert help today.
500 doctors ONLINE
#1 Medical Platform
Ask question for free
00H : 43M : 22S
background image
Click Here
background image
Gynecology & Pregnancy Care
Question #10876
1 year ago
452

I want tips on PCOS Management and the medicines or supplements that should be taken

Devu

I was diagnosed with PCOS at the age of 15. I have irregular periods, and dont get my peirod naturally. I have to take progesterone tablets or pills to induce period. I stopped taking them and I had my last period in January. Also I am struggling with assosicated symptoms like hirsuitism, i have to shave like every alternate days.Also i have acanthosis nigricans,dark neck underarms. What medicines and supplements am I supposed to take?I am also planning on making lifestyle changes although I cant my diet much because I reside in hostel, I am planning to avoid processed food and exercise regularly, Can you also share other things that I should focus on. I also have hypothyroidism,my recent lab reports shows normal T3, T4 but TSH is 9.How many mg tablet should I take?

Age: 21
Chronic illnesses: PCOS
Weight gain
Thyroid
Pcod
Pcos
Hirsuitism
Periods
FREE
Question is closed
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously
Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential.
No sign-up needed.
CTA image asteriksCTA image

Doctors' responses

Hello dear Please be ready See you already know pcos is a multiple organs involvement disease It will require comprehensive evaluation Iam suggesting below instructions and medication for improvement. However,i still insist on taking in person consultation with gynacolologist for further details

medication) Progesterone - Duphaston ( bleeding induction) Spironolactone -( associated bp fluctuations of present). Metformin - ( glucose control) Letrozole (ovulation induction- but only after confirmation from gynacolologist) Eflorthine- ( for facial hair) Orlistat- ( for fat reduction) In addition,please take preventive measure Do meditation Exercises regularly for half an hour Meditation must Weight control must to prevent osteoporosis In case of no improvement as already mentioned by me please consult gynacolologist for further details Hope your problem subsides Regards Regards

3585 answered questions
70% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies

Managing PCOS effectively involves addressing hormonal imbalances, managing symptoms, and making lifestyle modifications. Irregular periods in PCOS can often be managed with hormonal contraceptives or cyclic progesterone, which help regulate menstrual cycles and can reduce risk of endometrial hyperplasia. If you’re planning a long-term approach, it’s important to consult with your healthcare provider to see if combined oral contraceptives might be suitable for you. These can also aid in managing hirsutism. For hirsutism specifically, medications like spironolactone can help reduce hair growth, though it’s essential to discuss potential side effects and contraception as it can affect pregnancy. Lifestyle changes can significantly impact PCOS management. Regular exercise and reducing intake of refined carbs and processed foods can improve insulin sensitivity, which is often beneficial for PCOS as many women have insulin resistance. Exercise doesn’t necessarily mean daily intense workouts; even brisk walking or regular aerobic exercise can be impactful. Regarding acanthosis nigricans, addressing insulin resistance can often help improve this condition too.

For your hypothyroidism, an elevated TSH level like 9 suggests that your thyroid hormone replacement might need adjustment. Levothyroxine is typically used, and dosing is very individualized. Generally, doctors start somewhere between 1.6-1.8 mcg/kg/day based on body weight, adjusting gradually based on follow-up blood tests assessing TSH levels. It’s crucial to consult with your doctor who will be able to determine the precise dosing after considering your overall health profile, labs, and specific needs. As you’re in a hostel, try to prioritize what you can control in terms of exercise and minimizing processed foods, possibly supplemented with whatever fruits and vegetables you find available. Managing both PCOS and hypothyroidism involves long-term commitment and working closely with your healthcare provider can effectively guide you through the individualized treatment necessary for your conditions.

21746 answered questions
91% best answers

0 replies
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously

Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential. No sign-up needed.

About our doctors

Only qualified doctors who have confirmed the availability of medical education and other certificates of medical practice consult on our service. You can check the qualification confirmation in the doctor's profile.


My periods are delayed by 14 days
How to get rid of irregular periods
Baby conceiving problem after2 years
About I'm pregnant or not confirming
What is this painful bump on my vaginal lips that appeared a few days ago?
What causes irregular periods and light flow with slight stomach pain in a 21-year-old student?
How can I temporarily stop my period for one day?
What could be causing lower abdominal pain and unusual bleeding after a negative pregnancy test?
What should I do if I have severe headaches, dizziness, and shortness of breath while on Sprintec?
Can I get pregnant from this contact?
How to treat itching and thick white discharge in a 19-year-old, could it be a yeast infection?
Persistent Yellow Discharge and White Flakes
Concerns About Dermoid Cyst and Surgery Options
Infertilite tedavi surecinde vajinal mantar
Irregular periods , unwanted white discharge with bad smell and itching in private part
What to do if I'm 6 weeks pregnant and experiencing bright red bleeding and passing clots?
How to identify the exact reason of missing periods
Clotrimazole 250 mg vaginal suppositories are recommended?
Is am pregnant ? Please help me
What does it mean if my period lasts 13 days with brown spotting after having sex 3 weeks ago?
What does it mean if my period is 13 days late with brown spotting after having sex with a condom?
Why my period are delay and my body feelsheavy
What to do if I had unprotected sex and my period is irregular but I tested negative for pregnancy?
Menstrual Irregularity and Absence of Periods
3 saal ho gye marriage ko usme humne sex kiya to 5 se 7 bar unwanted72 tablet use kri thi pahle ab kal sex kiya to light bleeding ho rhi h usme
I want to know my babys gender through my scans plz help
What to do for irregular periods and hair loss after having a second baby?
Abortion in 11 weeks -18weeks.....
What to do if I have a positive pregnancy test and bleeding without pain?
What happens if I didn't start folic acid during my 7 weeks of pregnancy?