AskDocDoc
FREE!Ask Doctors — 24/7
Connect with Doctors 24/7. Ask anything, get expert help today.
500 doctors ONLINE
#1 Medical Platform
Ask question for free
00H : 19M : 42S
background image
Click Here
background image
Gynecology & Pregnancy Care
Question #17142
308 days ago
359

menstrual cup stem hurts

Tara

I am honestly getting pretty frustrated with this menstrual cup stem hurts situation. I thought I was doing something good for the environment and myself by switching to a menstrual cup, but now I'm dealing with this annoying pain! I’ve tried a few different brands, and the one I finally settled on seemed to fit well at first, but it feels like every time I wear it, the stem is digging into me. Like, why is that happening? I've tried trimming the stem, but then I feel like I'm losing grip on the thing when I try to remove it. And I’ve read that some people cut the stem off completely, but I’m so scared that will make it impossible to take out! I often have to wear it for a pretty long day at work, and just thinking about that discomfort is making me dread my period. Has anyone else dealt with the menstrual cup stem hurts problem? Are there specific techniques or tips you could share? I really want to love these cups because they're supposed to be so much better, but right now, it’s just a headache. Help!

FREE
Question is closed
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously
Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential.
No sign-up needed.
CTA image asteriksCTA image

Doctors' responses

Menstrual cups can indeed be a great choice for many, both eco-friendly and often comfortable once you get the hang of it. However, the stem causing discomfort is a known issue for some users, especially if it’s poking or rubbing against sensitive vaginal tissues. Trimming the stem is a common first step, and you seem to have tried that, which normally helps relieve the pressure. If that’s not working effectively, consider a few more adjustments. First, experiment with different folding techniques for insertion; a different fold might allow the cup to sit higher or lower, affecting how the stem rests. The “punch down” and “origami” folds are more compact and might help it position better. Once inserted, you could try rotating the cup slightly, as sometimes a small adjustment can relieve pressure on specific areas. Additionally, personal anatomy varies greatly, and not every cup suits every person. Exploring different firmness levels or brand designs could make a big difference—some offer shorter or entirely stemless designs, which might be beneficial. You mentioned that removing it becomes difficult with a trimmed or absent stem. In these cases, mastering the pinch and bear down technique can simplify removal, as it encourages the cup’s base to come within reach, allowing you to break the seal safely. If these strategies still aren’t providing relief, it might be worthwhile seeing a gynecologist who could offer further personalized advice based on your specific anatomy. It’s also worth noting that any persistent pain or discomfort should be addressed to rule out underlying concerns, as your comfort and health should always come first.

21816 answered questions
91% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously

Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential. No sign-up needed.

About our doctors

Only qualified doctors who have confirmed the availability of medical education and other certificates of medical practice consult on our service. You can check the qualification confirmation in the doctor's profile.


Vaginal skin peeling with cuts,itchy skin and burning and have smell
Is my hymen broken after high bidet pressure?
What to do if my period is delayed and flow is irregular with stomach pain?
I want to postpone my periods which is supposed to come next week.what medicine should I take?
Pregnancy related concern and wanted to be sure
what does this pregnancy urin test shows
Period hasnotyet come what should
What to do for severe menstrual pain with nausea and dizziness?
Why my period is delayed for this july month
Concerns About Irregular Periods and Painful White Spots on Nipples
Delay in getting periods from past few months
What to do for severe chest pain and brown vomiting with blood clots after giving birth?
What to do if I missed my period after sex and feel very tired at 19?
I'm suffering from vaginal itching and white discharge
Concern About Delayed Period and Negative Pregnancy Tests
Is it possible to have a miscarriage if fetal heart rate dropped from 106 to 59 after bleeding at 6 weeks pregnant?
Can I be pregnant with PCOS....................
Concerns About Vaginal Discharge and Discomfort
PCOD in Early Pregnancy: Myo‑D‑Chiro Inositol and Progesterone Guidance
Abortion in 11 weeks -18weeks.....
Doubt about periods and pergancy
How to delay my period for a trip on June 3rd?
What to do if I missed my period and found tissue after unprotected sex?
What are the safe abortion options and process at 5-6 weeks of pregnancy?
how can i check my pregnancy naturally at home?
What could cause my period to start 10 days early with brown discharge and feelings of depression at 21 years old?
Periods ane ke baad bhi pregnency control ( pregaend medicine) kha li h kya dikkat ho skti h
What to do if my periods are irregular and I've had spotting for months at 18 years old?
How To Tell The Difference Between A Yeast Infection And Just Itching?
What Is Hormonal Bleeding?