AskDocDoc
/
/
/
can we smoke cigarettes in cough
FREE!Ask Doctors — 24/7
Connect with Doctors 24/7. Ask anything, get expert help today.
500 doctors ONLINE
#1 Medical Platform
Ask question for free
00H : 54M : 59S
background image
Click Here
background image
Lung & Breathing Conditions
Question #20377
265 days ago
425

can we smoke cigarettes in cough

Karthik

I am trying to figure out if I can smoke cigarettes in cough situations. Last week, I came down with this awful cough, and it feels like it just won't go away. My friend who smokes says it helps calm his throat when he's coughing, but I’m skeptical. I’ve heard mixed things about coughing and smoking. Some people swear it doesn’t make it worse, while others say that it totally aggravates it more. Like, can we smoke cigarettes in cough or is that just a bad idea? I’ve been coughing nonstop, and it’s driving me nuts. My throat feels raw and I’m really worried about whether puffing on a cigarette would make it better or just prolong this torture. I’m also playing catch up with work since I’ve been feeling crummy, and I can’t afford to be sick any longer. My mom's always telling me how bad cigarettes are, especially for lungs and coughing, but sometimes I feel tempted. Can we smoke cigarettes in cough without messing things up more? Any insight from folks who’ve dealt with this would be really helpful. Thanks!

FREE
Question is closed
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously
Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential.
No sign-up needed.
CTA image asteriksCTA image

Doctors' responses

Smoking cigarettes while experiencing a cough is generally not advisable. When you have a cough, your respiratory system is already in distress, often due to irritation or an infection like a cold or flu. Smoking can aggravate the situation because it introduces harmful chemicals and irritants into your lungs and airways, making the cough worse, potentially prolonging your recovery. Cigarette smoke can damage the tiny hair-like structures in the lungs called cilia, which are important for cleaning your airways from mucus and specks of dirt. Even taking a few puffs can delay this natural clearing process, leading to more coughing. If your throat feels raw, smoking may lead to further irritation and increase discomfort. What’s more, smoking while having a sore throat from coughing can suppress your immune response, making it harder for your body to fight off whatever’s causing the cough in the first place. In your situation, it’s smart to hold off on smoking until you’ve completely recovered. Instead, consider resting your voice and using lozenges or warm fluids, such as tea with honey, to soothe your throat. If your cough persists beyond a couple of weeks, or if you experience symptoms like shortness of breath, chest pain, or coughing up blood, it’s crucial to seek medical attention, as these could be signs of more serious conditions. To support overall lung health, it might also be a good time to think about reducing or quitting smoking, if possible. There are various resources and medications that can make quitting more manageable, but always discuss plans with a healthcare provider to find methods that would suit your needs and circumstances.

21706 answered questions
91% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously

Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential. No sign-up needed.

About our doctors

Only qualified doctors who have confirmed the availability of medical education and other certificates of medical practice consult on our service. You can check the qualification confirmation in the doctor's profile.


Hello, I noticed light, bright red blood with bowel movements. It came for two days, disappeared for three days, and now returned.
How can I get rid of breathing trouble?
Advice for Managing Persistent Shortness of Breath
Heavy feeling in chest and difficulty breathing after eating
What to do for sudden feelings of suffocation when angry or crying?
Sharp Pain in Right Chest When Coughing
What should I do if I have trouble breathing and a heavy head after getting punched in the face?
Chest Tightness and Breathing Difficulties
What to do if I have breathing problems and chest pain before and after eating?
Asthma problems 40 year old woman
Experiencing Shortness of Breath and Coughing Up Blood
Breathing Difficulties After Substance Use
Experiencing Breathing Issues and Coughing Up Blood
What causes tightness in the chest and shortness of breath when climbing stairs?
كيف اعرف أن الوجع خطيرومحتاج دكتور
What to do for persistent breathing problems and cough after using Symbicort for 4 years?
Do I have asthma because spirometry done
What to do if I'm experiencing heavy breathing, nausea while eating, and dizziness when not lying down?
What to do for my 7-year-old daughter who has a persistent cough that worsens with activity?
Ik heb constant de behoefte om te hoesten, wat kan ik doen?
What should I do if I've been feeling weird and experiencing breathing issues after climbing?
how to use adulsa leaves for cough
problem in breathing reasons
causes of lung infection
lung infection causes
pulmonary rehabilitation
asthma copd difference
copd cause
breathing problem symptoms
breathe problem