AskDocDoc
/
/
/
asthma symptoms and treatment
FREE!Ask Doctors — 24/7
Connect with Doctors 24/7. Ask anything, get expert help today.
500 doctors ONLINE
#1 Medical Platform
Ask question for free
00H : 24M : 52S
background image
Click Here
background image
Lung & Breathing Conditions
Question #20438
274 days ago
580

asthma symptoms and treatment

Rashi

I am a bit worried about my son. He’s 10 and has been experiencing these weird asthma symptoms and treatment stuff lately. It all started last month when he was playing outside with his friends. Suddenly, he came in complaining that he could hardly breath and his chest tightness was crazy. We thought maybe it was just a fluke, but then he started coughing during the night. Like, it was really bad—kept waking everyone up. I took him to the doctor, and they said it could be asthma, but I’ve always thought asthma symptoms and treatment were more for adults, ya know? They gave him an inhaler, which he seems to use more often than not now, but sometimes I see he's still wheezing. I read online about asthma symptoms and treatment options, but it's all a bit overwhelming. Do you guys think we should try allergy testing too? Sometimes it feels like I’m missing something important. Are there other asthma symptoms and treatment approaches we should consider? I really just want to make sure he gets all the help he needs. And is there anything I shouldn't worry about?

FREE
Question is closed
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously
Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential.
No sign-up needed.
CTA image asteriksCTA image

Doctors' responses

Asthma in children is more common than you might think, and it’s important to closely monitor the symptoms you’re describing. Asthma symptoms can include shortness of breath, chest tightness, wheezing, coughing (often worse at night or early morning), which your son is experiencing. The inhaler is a standard treatment—likely a short-acting bronchodilator, which provides relief by relaxing the muscles around the airways. If he’s using this frequently, it might indicate that his asthma isn’t entirely controlled yet. Keeping track of how often he needs it can be valuable information for your doctor. Allergy testing can be a good idea, since asthma is often related to allergens. Identifying triggers like pollen, pet dander, or dust mites can help in avoiding exposure and managing the symptoms better. Environmental control measures at home, like using air purifiers, washing bedding in hot water, and removing carpets where possible, might also help. Additionally, you might want to explore whether a long-term controller medication is necessary, based on your doctor’s assessment. This medication, often an inhaled corticosteroid, can help reduce inflammation in the airways over time. Since asthma can sometimes present similarly to other conditions like viral bronchitis, it’s crucial to have a proper evaluation by a healthcare provider. If he ever experiences severe difficulties breathing or if over-the-counter treatments don’t seem to help, seeking immediate medical attention is important. Do keep a dialogue open with the healthcare provider about any changes in symptoms or concerns. Focusing on overall lifestyle changes and regular follow-ups can be an essential part of managing asthma effectively.

21816 answered questions
91% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously

Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential. No sign-up needed.

About our doctors

Only qualified doctors who have confirmed the availability of medical education and other certificates of medical practice consult on our service. You can check the qualification confirmation in the doctor's profile.


Sir mughe sas lene m takleef hoti hai pr m montair lc tablet jab leta hu tu bilkul theek ho jata hu
How to reduce chest pain and fainting
What is asthma and what are its causes, symptoms, and management options for children and adults?
Advice on Managing Persistent Shortness of Breath
Sharp Chest Pain When Coughing
Breathing Difficulties After Substance Use
What to do if I have breathing problems and chest pain before and after eating?
Sans lene me takleef or left side me pain rhta hai time
पुरानी खांसी (कफ के साथ) के इलाज के लिए परामर्श
What should I do if I have trouble breathing and a heavy head after getting punched in the face?
What could be causing chest tightness and breathing problems before and after eating?
Chest Pain and Breathing Issues without Known Cause
Cough with phlegm and chest pain after using asthma inhaler – is this normal?”
Breathing Issues After Indoor Climbing
Concerns about my child's cough and breathing
Feeling heaviness in the chest and difficulty belching
What causes tightness in the chest and shortness of breath when climbing stairs?
Severe Shoulder and Chest Pain with Breathing Difficulties
كيف اعرف أن الوجع خطيرومحتاج دكتور
Persistent Cough and Rib Pain After Flu
What should I do if I've been feeling weird and experiencing breathing issues after climbing?
how to reduce pain, I have Anemia and chest pain
What to do for my 7-year-old daughter who has a persistent cough that worsens with activity?
Breathing problem chest pain or
What causes sudden feelings of suffocation and difficulty breathing when crying or angry?
What causes sudden feelings of suffocation and difficulty breathing when upset?
copd vs asthma difference
how to treat bronchitis
pulmonology diseases
Continue khansi chal rahi