AskDocDoc
FREE!Ask Doctors — 24/7
Connect with Doctors 24/7. Ask anything, get expert help today.
500 doctors ONLINE
#1 Medical Platform
Ask question for free
00H : 35M : 17S
background image
Click Here
background image
Lung & Breathing Conditions
Question #21967
260 days ago
529

copd vs asthma difference

Advika

I am trying to figure out something that’s really been bugging me. I was recently diagnosed with COPD after my doctor noticed my difficulty in breathing and that wheezing I’ve been having for months. But my cousin has asthma, and I've heard people talking about the copd vs asthma difference and I just don’t get it! Like, why are they treated differently? My symptoms seem kinda similar to what she describes—like we both have shortness of breath and a tight feeling in our chests, but I don’t have asthma attacks like she does. Also, I've read some stuff saying COPD is often related to smoking, but I’ve never smoked a day in my life! I’m confused because sometimes I think my symptoms overlap with asthma too. The other night, I tried using her inhaler, thinking it might help, but it didn’t really do much for me. Should I be worried that I might have both or is that even possible? I just want to understand the copd vs asthma difference clearer. Like what should I look for or ask my doctor about? I feel kinda lost in this and don’t want to mix things up more than I already have.

FREE
Question is closed
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously
Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential.
No sign-up needed.
CTA image asteriksCTA image

Doctors' responses

Understanding the difference between COPD and asthma can indeed be a bit confusing since they share some similar symptoms like shortness of breath and wheezing. However, let’s delve into some of the main differences. COPD, or Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, primarily involves persistent respiratory symptoms and airflow limitation due to airway abnormalities, often related to exposure to noxious particles or gases—smoking is a common cause, but not exclusively; environmental factors or genetics may play a role, too. Asthma, on the other hand, is often characterized by variable symptoms, meaning they can come and go, with reversible airflow obstruction most of the time, and it’s often triggered by allergens, exercise, or stress. The treatment approaches differ because of their distinct mechanisms: asthma typically responds well to inhaled corticosteroids and bronchodilators for acute attacks, while COPD management may require a combination of bronchodilators, corticosteroids, and sometimes oxygen therapy depending on the severity.

Regarding your attempt to use your cousin’s inhaler, it’s important to note that while some medications overlap, asthma inhalers may not address COPD needs effectively or can be formulated differently, leading to limited relief. It’s crucial not to interchange medications without consulting your healthcare provider as this can complicate management. COPD and asthma can coexist, known as asthma-COPD overlap, and this requires a tailored treatment approach. Discussing your complete medical history, lifestyle, and environmental considerations with your doctor can provide more clarity. The way forward involves personalized management, which might include pulmonary function tests to better define your condition, optimizing medications specifically suited for your symptoms, and regular follow-up to adjust treatments. If there’re any acute changes in symptoms, like severe breathlessness or sudden worsening, seek prompt medical care to ensure appropriate measures are taken in a timely manner.

21816 answered questions
91% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously

Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential. No sign-up needed.

About our doctors

Only qualified doctors who have confirmed the availability of medical education and other certificates of medical practice consult on our service. You can check the qualification confirmation in the doctor's profile.


I have cough I’m a smoker when I deep breath I cough
Sir mughe sas lene m takleef hoti hai pr m montair lc tablet jab leta hu tu bilkul theek ho jata hu
How to reduce chest pain and fainting
What is asthma and what are its causes, symptoms, and management options for children and adults?
Advice on Managing Persistent Shortness of Breath
Sharp Chest Pain When Coughing
Heavy feeling in chest and difficulty breathing after eating
Feeling Weak with Chest Pressure and Throat Pain
Breathing Difficulties After Substance Use
What to do if I have breathing problems and chest pain before and after eating?
पुरानी खांसी (कफ के साथ) के इलाज के लिए परामर्श
What should I do if I have trouble breathing and a heavy head after getting punched in the face?
What could be causing chest tightness and breathing problems before and after eating?
Cough with phlegm and chest pain after using asthma inhaler – is this normal?”
Breathing Issues After Indoor Climbing
Feeling heaviness in the chest and difficulty belching
Concerns about my child's cough and breathing
What causes tightness in the chest and shortness of breath when climbing stairs?
كيف اعرف أن الوجع خطيرومحتاج دكتور
Persistent Cough and Rib Pain After Flu
What should I do if I've been feeling weird and experiencing breathing issues after climbing?
how to reduce pain, I have Anemia and chest pain
What to do for my 7-year-old daughter who has a persistent cough that worsens with activity?
Breathing problem chest pain or
What causes sudden feelings of suffocation and difficulty breathing when crying or angry?
What causes sudden feelings of suffocation and difficulty breathing when upset?
What to do if I'm experiencing heavy breathing, nausea while eating, and dizziness when not lying down?
breathing issues reasons
why my right side chest is paining
pulmonology diseases