AskDocDoc
FREE!Ask Doctors — 24/7
Connect with Doctors 24/7. Ask anything, get expert help today.
500 doctors ONLINE
#1 Medical Platform
Ask question for free
00H : 59M : 13S
background image
Click Here
background image
Dental & Oral Disorders
Question #27094
214 days ago
483

mouth specialist doctor

Pooja

I am looking for advice, I went to the dentist last month for a check-up and they told me I need to see a mouth specialist doctor because they found some unusual swelling under my tongue. At first, I just thought it was irritation from a new mouthwash I tried, but the dentist seems to think it could be something more serious. The swelling has gotten worse, and sometimes it hurts when I try to eat. I'm worried about what a mouth specialist doctor might say. Like, what if it's something major? I have a family history of oral issues, like my uncle had some big problems that led to surgery. The timeline is tight, I’m supposed to see the mouth specialist doctor next week, and I can’t help but stress about it. Should I expect any specific tests from the mouth specialist doctor? Do they usually do biopsies or scans on initial visits? Also, what should I look for, like symptoms that indicate I need to go back and see the mouth specialist doctor before my scheduled appointment? It’s just so frustrating waiting and not knowing what’s happening with my mouth.

FREE
Question is closed
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously
Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential.
No sign-up needed.
CTA image asteriksCTA image

Doctors' responses

The situation is understandably concerning, especially with your family history of oral health issues. The mouth specialist you’re seeing is likely an oral and maxillofacial surgeon or a specialist like a periodontist, who will be well-equipped to investigate the swelling you have. During your initial visit, they will perform a thorough clinical examination. They might take your medical history into account, including the use of new mouthwash, along with your family history, to assess comprehensive risk factors. If the swelling under your tongue seems suspicious, the specialist might suggest additional diagnostic tests like an X-ray or an MRI to understand the tissue’s condition. A biopsy is a possibility, especially if there’s any concern about abnormal tissue growth, as it can help determine whether the swelling is benign or requires more medical intervention.

Before your scheduled appointment, it’s important to watch for symptoms like increased pain, difficulty swallowing, bleeding, or changes in your oral mucosa’s color or texture. These could signify a more urgent issue, warranting an earlier consultation with the specialist. Avoid self-medicating with over-the-counter products that you haven’t already been using regularly, as they could irritate the area further or interfere with any testing. Ensure that you maintain a good oral hygiene routine but be gentle, especially around the swollen area. Drink plenty of water to keep your mouth hydrated and avoid irritants like smoking or alcohol. Preparing a list of questions and symptoms for the specialist can also help streamline this visit and ease your concerns. Timely evaluation and diagnosis are key in these circumstances, and it’s good that you have an upcoming appointment. Prioritizing this will help address and manage any potential issues more effectively.

21746 answered questions
91% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously

Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential. No sign-up needed.

About our doctors

Only qualified doctors who have confirmed the availability of medical education and other certificates of medical practice consult on our service. You can check the qualification confirmation in the doctor's profile.


Injury and Infection Concerns After Fall
Injury to Eyebrow Arch After Fall - Increasing Pain and Swollen Eyelid
Oral problem having discomfort and pain
What should i do the problem which i m facing
I don't know exactly what happened in my teeth
Puffy Right Cheek Concerns with Braces
What to do if my teeth haven't grown for 5 years and I'm 17 years old?
Skin dryness white skin flaky nose side chin and eye brows
What to do for swollen and black gums with tooth decay?
On my front teeth there is a white patch and oral hygiene
What to do for sharp throbbing tooth pain that keeps coming back?
I need an advise a realistic one without making a drama out of a situation
My front teeth is shaking liitle bit causing pain.
Dat venge gese ar jonno koronio
How to align my son Aditya's teeth and what are the appointment details?
Pale Yellowish color of teeths..
What to do if I think I have tooth decay and fear there's still a problem?
How to know if I have gum recession or periodontal disease after conflicting doctor opinions?
What causes white spots on gums and a sore on the left side of the tongue?
How To get rid of bad breath please help me out this issue
Tooth removedI getyear pain more than one week
What to do about gum recession and gaps between teeth at 19 years old?
What to do if my wife has occasional bleeding from the mouth?
Can I use my electric toothbrush again after using it in my vagina and cleaning it?
mouth ulcer which doctor to see
how to treat sore roof of mouth
which doctor to consult for tongue ulcer
what does tmj feel like
how long does numbness last after wisdom teeth removal
amarpower570@<link removed> im AMARNATH