AskDocDoc
FREE!Ask Doctors — 24/7
Connect with Doctors 24/7. Ask anything, get expert help today.
500 doctors ONLINE
#1 Medical Platform
Ask question for free
00H : 55M : 32S
background image
Click Here
background image
Lung & Breathing Conditions
Question #28430
199 days ago
683

causes of lung infection

Kimaya

I am worried about what might be the causes of lung infection. My uncle was hospitalized last week with severe breathing problems, and they said he has pneumonia, which got me thinking. He has been coughing nonstop for about a month, and he kept insisting it was just a cold but I always thought it was weird for it to last that long. I mean, we all get colds and stuff, but this seemed more serious, you know? Anyway, the doctors mentioned that the causes of lung infection can be from bacteria or viruses. I really don’t understand how someone can go from a simple cough to pneumonia in just a few weeks. My aunt said he was smoking less recently, but now it’s like he’s back to square one! Could that be one of the causes of lung infection? Because, let’s be honest, I thought that was a good thing. And what about allergens? I feel like he’s been around a lot of dust from the construction next door. Could that contribute to the causes of lung infection too? I’m just super concerned and want to get all the info I can find on the causes of lung infection because it’s terrifying seeing someone I care about struggle like this. Any insights or tips would be appreciated!

FREE
Question is closed
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously
Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential.
No sign-up needed.
CTA image asteriksCTA image

Doctors' responses

Lung infections, like pneumonia, can indeed have a variety of causes ranging from infectious agents to environmental factors. Bacteria and viruses are the most common culprits. Streptococcus pneumoniae is a frequent bacterial cause, while viruses such as influenza can lead to viral pneumonia. It’s not uncommon for a viral infection, like a cold or flu, to weaken the immune system, allowing bacteria to cause a secondary infection, which might be what happened with your uncle. His persistent cough might have been an early sign of an infection that developed further when not fully addressed. Smoking is a known risk factor for lung infections because it damages the lungs’ normal defenses, making them more susceptible to infection. Quitting or reducing smoking is generally beneficial, but if exposure continues or is reintroduced, the risk persists or even increases. Chronic exposure to dust and allergens, like from nearby construction, isn’t typically a direct cause of lung infections, but they can weaken the lung’s defenses by causing irritation and inflammation, possibly making it easier for infections to take hold. While your concern is understandable, it’s crucial to know that lung infections can be managed effectively with timely medical intervention. It’s vital to remain vigilant about symptoms such as persistent cough, fever, chest pain, or difficulty breathing, as they require medical evaluation. For your uncle, following the medical team’s advice on treating pneumonia will be critical, and he might benefit from exploring supported smoking cessation programs if he plans to quit again, which can enhance his lung health in the long term.

21706 answered questions
91% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously

Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential. No sign-up needed.

About our doctors

Only qualified doctors who have confirmed the availability of medical education and other certificates of medical practice consult on our service. You can check the qualification confirmation in the doctor's profile.


Hello, I noticed light, bright red blood with bowel movements. It came for two days, disappeared for three days, and now returned.
How can I get rid of breathing trouble?
Advice for Managing Persistent Shortness of Breath
Heavy feeling in chest and difficulty breathing after eating
What to do for sudden feelings of suffocation when angry or crying?
What should I do if I have trouble breathing and a heavy head after getting punched in the face?
What to do if I have breathing problems and chest pain before and after eating?
Asthma problems 40 year old woman
Experiencing Shortness of Breath and Coughing Up Blood
Breathing Difficulties After Substance Use
पुरानी खांसी (कफ के साथ) के इलाज के लिए परामर्श
Experiencing Breathing Issues and Coughing Up Blood
What causes tightness in the chest and shortness of breath when climbing stairs?
كيف اعرف أن الوجع خطيرومحتاج دكتور
What to do for persistent breathing problems and cough after using Symbicort for 4 years?
Do I have asthma because spirometry done
Ik heb constant de behoefte om te hoesten, wat kan ik doen?
What to do if I'm experiencing heavy breathing, nausea while eating, and dizziness when not lying down?
What to do for my 7-year-old daughter who has a persistent cough that worsens with activity?
What should I do if I've been feeling weird and experiencing breathing issues after climbing?
how to reduce pain, I have Anemia and chest pain
how to use adulsa leaves for cough
problem in breathing reasons
What are the 3 causes of COPD?
lung infection causes
pulmonary rehabilitation
asthma copd difference
copd cause
asthma konsi bimari hai
breathing problem symptoms