AskDocDoc
/
/
/
types of liver transplant
FREE!Ask Doctors — 24/7
Connect with Doctors 24/7. Ask anything, get expert help today.
500 doctors ONLINE
#1 Medical Platform
Ask question for free
00H : 27M : 00S
background image
Click Here
background image
General Health
Question #11225
1 year ago
565

types of liver transplant

Shivam

I am really concerned about my friend who’s been diagnosed with severe liver issues, and now the doctors are talking about the types of liver transplant options. It all started a few months ago when he was feeling super tired and had this crazy itching all over his body. Tests showed his liver enzymes were really high, and the word cirrhosis came up a lot during our conversations, which scared the heck out of us. Now they’re saying he might need a transplant, and I overheard them mentioning different types of liver transplant but didn’t catch all the details. Like, what are the different types of liver transplant? Are they just talking about cadaveric vs. living donor, or is it more complicated than that? I’ve read a little about the types of liver transplant, but it’s all so technical, ya know? Like, can one type be better for someone in his situation? And I’m not sure if he can even get on the list or if he’ll need to figure out living donor options. How does the recovery differ with the types of liver transplant? I mean, will it take longer for him if it’s a cadaveric one or what? I just wanna help him understand what's ahead. This whole thing is overwhelming!!!

FREE
Question is closed
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously
Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential.
No sign-up needed.
CTA image asteriksCTA image

Doctors' responses

Deceased donor (cadaveric): Whole liver from a donor who passed away; requires waiting list.

Living donor: Part of liver from a healthy relative/friend; avoids long wait, both livers regrow.

Split-liver: One donor liver split for 2 patients (child + adult).

Recipient: similar in both (2–3 weeks hospital, 3–6 months full recovery).

Donor (if living donor): recovers in 6–12 weeks.

546 answered questions
74% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies

Hello dear See liver transplant can be either taken from living or dead individual It can be partial or split type of liver transplant In countries like India, usually living liver transplant is preferred. However for better clarification Kindly contact hepatoligist in person Regards

3585 answered questions
70% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies

In the context of liver transplant, you’re essentially looking at two main types: deceased donor (or cadaveric) transplant and living donor transplant. Deceased donor transplants involve receiving a liver from a person who has died but whose liver health were well enough to be compatible. This is the most common type. On the other hand, living donor transplants involve a willing donor, often a relative or close friend, who donates a portion of their own liver. Since the liver has a unique ability to regenerate, it tends to grow back to its normal size in both the donor and recipient post-surgery.

Apart from these main two types, there’s also split liver transplant, which can occur in some circumstances. This involves dividing a donor liver into two parts, transplanted into two recipients, typically one adult and one child. The preference between living and deceased donor transplants may depend on various factors, including donor availability, recipient’s condition, and hospital resources. Living donor transplants can shorten the waiting time drastically and might allow the surgery to be scheduled sooner, day really.

Recovery can differ depending on whether it’s a deceased or living donor graft. Living donor transplants generally come with quicker scheduling, but both surgeries entail recovery challenges similar in scale. The hospital stay might be a tad shorter with living donor transplants since these are typically electively planned, hence less waiting time for matching and preparations compared to emergency procedures with a deceased donor. But in both scenarios, the monitoring post-transplant is extremely crucial to watch for rejection or complications.

Eligibility for the transplant list hinges on several factors, like the MELD score which assesses liver disease severity and other health conditions of the patient. Raising awareness about these options and understanding the process, complications, and post-surgical assistance can better help guide your friend. Recovery plans and outcomes greatly depend on the individual’s overall health, compliance with post-surgical care, and the presence of any underlying conditions. It’s vital that your friend maintains open, ongoing communication with his healthcare team to navigate this path more smoothly.

21784 answered questions
91% best answers

0 replies
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously

Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential. No sign-up needed.

About our doctors

Only qualified doctors who have confirmed the availability of medical education and other certificates of medical practice consult on our service. You can check the qualification confirmation in the doctor's profile.


Dog vaccine related issues regarding symptoms
Brucellosis genital discharge urine problems
How to know if I will recover from taking metformin without a prescription for 7 months?
Can I buy more medication for my pilonidal abscess if it hasn't healed after a month?
What to do if I have head pain after a dog bite and received rabies treatment?
I think I have an a issue with my anus andIdont know what to do
Request for Medication Prescription
Heaviness in head after waking up and feeling dizzy
How to reduce uric acid, fatty liver, triglycerides etc
I need help thank you very much
What to do for a headache in my right temple that's been happening for a long time?
Why do I feel euphoric and sleepy after eating ice cream?
Experiencing Dizziness and Hand Pain with Irregular Periods
Is it safe to give dextromethorphan, phenylephrine, and chlorpheniramine to my 3-year-old?
Post menopausal spotting after 12 months of last period.
What tests should I undergo for anemia-like symptoms, fatigue, and muscle twitches at 18 years old?
What is the best drug for whole body anti-aging based on evidence?
Can I take metformin without a prescription and still see benefits even without confirmed disease?
Como dejar de ahogarme seguidamente creo que es con mi saliva
What should I do if I have a severe headache, stomach ache, chest pains, and dizziness?
How to treat uric acid pain and swelling in my foot that makes it hard to walk?
Liver enzymes, the spot and sgpt value is 50
How Do I Recover My Lost Appetite?
does viagra help with premature ejaculation
liver purifier
Which vitamin helps liver health?
Temporary increase in clonazepam
red banana side effects
who should take coq10
Senseless when i take injection