AskDocDoc
/
/
/
what is the best medicine for copd?
FREE!Ask Doctors — 24/7
Connect with Doctors 24/7. Ask anything, get expert help today.
500 doctors ONLINE
#1 Medical Platform
Ask question for free
00H : 59M : 35S
background image
Click Here
background image
Lung & Breathing Conditions
Question #26043
230 days ago
377

what is the best medicine for copd?

Muhammad

I am 62 and have been struggling with cough and shortness of breath for a while now. Last month, my doctor finally diagnosed me with COPD, and I feel kinda lost! I think about what is the best medicine for COPD every time I have trouble catching my breath. They started me on some bronchodilators, but honestly, sometimes it feels like nothing is really helping. I heard about inhalers and steroids from a friend, but what is the best medicine for COPD really? Like, how do you even know what works best? I've read up on it but every article says something different. Plus, my cough gets worse sometimes, especially at night when I try to sleep. Is there something I should be asking my doctor about specifically or maybe even a second opinion? My cousin mentioned medications helping with inflammation too... Do those fall into the "what is the best medicine for COPD" category? I feel overwhelmed and just want to breathe easier. Anyone out there have experience with finding relief? What is the best medicine for COPD in your case? I could use some guidance on this.

FREE
Question is closed
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously
Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential.
No sign-up needed.
CTA image asteriksCTA image

Doctors' responses

The optimal treatment for COPD isn’t a one-size-fits-all, as it depends largely on the severity of your symptoms, overall health, and response to initial therapies. Typically, the cornerstone for managing COPD is bronchodilators, which you’ve mentioned you’re already using. These help by relaxing the muscles around your airways, making it easier to breathe. You may be familiar with short-acting bronchodilators like albuterol, which provide quick relief, and long-acting bronchodilators, for more sustained control. If what you’re using doesn’t provide the relief you need, discussing with your doctor about adjusting the dosage or switching to a different type might be worthwhile. Inhaled corticosteroids might be considered to reduce inflammation and help with persistent symptoms, especially if you experience frequent flare-ups. However, they are usually recommended when exacerbations are more frequent or more severe. You’re right to hear about combination inhalers that mix both bronchodilators and steroids—these can be effective for people with more advanced symptoms. It’s crucial to work closely with your healthcare provider to monitor the effectiveness of your treatment plan and make adjustments as necessary. Some individuals also find benefit in phosphodiesterase-4 inhibitors, which address inflammation and airway constriction. The nighttime cough you’re experiencing could potentially be improved with a reviewed inhaler regimen or additional medication adjustments; definitely something to discuss with your doctor. While managing medications, don’t overlook interventions like pulmonary rehabilitation and lifestyle adjustments—quitting smoking if applicable, appropriate exercise, and ensuring vaccinations are up to date. These strategies play a significant role in overall symptom management and prevention of exacerbations. Remember, it’s important to communicate openly with your healthcare provider about any concerns or changes in symptoms; consider a second opinion if you feel it’s necessary to further personalize your management plan.

21816 answered questions
91% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously

Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential. No sign-up needed.

About our doctors

Only qualified doctors who have confirmed the availability of medical education and other certificates of medical practice consult on our service. You can check the qualification confirmation in the doctor's profile.


Sir mughe sas lene m takleef hoti hai pr m montair lc tablet jab leta hu tu bilkul theek ho jata hu
How to reduce chest pain and fainting
What is asthma and what are its causes, symptoms, and management options for children and adults?
Advice on Managing Persistent Shortness of Breath
Sharp Chest Pain When Coughing
Breathing Difficulties After Substance Use
What to do if I have breathing problems and chest pain before and after eating?
पुरानी खांसी (कफ के साथ) के इलाज के लिए परामर्श
What should I do if I have trouble breathing and a heavy head after getting punched in the face?
What could be causing chest tightness and breathing problems before and after eating?
Chest Pain and Breathing Issues without Known Cause
Cough with phlegm and chest pain after using asthma inhaler – is this normal?”
Breathing Issues After Indoor Climbing
Concerns about my child's cough and breathing
Feeling heaviness in the chest and difficulty belching
Severe Shoulder and Chest Pain with Breathing Difficulties
What causes tightness in the chest and shortness of breath when climbing stairs?
كيف اعرف أن الوجع خطيرومحتاج دكتور
Persistent Cough and Rib Pain After Flu
What should I do if I've been feeling weird and experiencing breathing issues after climbing?
how to reduce pain, I have Anemia and chest pain
What to do for my 7-year-old daughter who has a persistent cough that worsens with activity?
Breathing problem chest pain or
What causes sudden feelings of suffocation and difficulty breathing when crying or angry?
What causes sudden feelings of suffocation and difficulty breathing when upset?
copd vs asthma difference
how to treat bronchitis
pulmonology diseases
asthma symptoms and treatment
Continue khansi chal rahi