AskDocDoc
FREE!Ask Doctors — 24/7
Connect with Doctors 24/7. Ask anything, get expert help today.
500 doctors ONLINE
#1 Medical Platform
Ask question for free
00H : 55M : 55S
background image
Click Here
background image
Dental & Oral Disorders
Question #27587
214 days ago
403

mouth problem doctor

Neil

I am really stressed out about this mouth problem I've been having. It all started a couple months ago, I had this annoying pain in my gums, and thought it was just from brushing too hard, ya know? But then, it got worse! Like, it started to feel swollen and some of my teeth felt loose?? I wasn't sure if I should see a mouth problem doctor right away, but after a few weeks of trying to ignore it, I went to this dentist. They said there was some gum infection and recommended I see a specialist, aka a mouth problem doctor. I feel all freaked out since they mentioned some fancy terms like periodontal disease! I don’t even know what that really means, but it sounds scary! I got some antibiotics, but sometimes the pain still shoots through even with meds! Is this normal? How long does it usually take for a mouth problem doctor to actually help or sort this out? I’ve read some stuff online, but it’s all so confusing and makes me worry more. Like, am I gonna lose teeth if I wait too long? What should I know before going to see a mouth problem doctor?? Any advice would be super helpful! Thanks!

FREE
Question is closed
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously
Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential.
No sign-up needed.
CTA image asteriksCTA image

Doctors' responses

If you’ve been diagnosed with a gum infection and referred to see a periodontist, also known as a mouth problem doctor, they’re the right specialist to address this issue. It’s understandable to feel stressed, but let’s break it down a bit. Periodontal disease is essentially a set of inflammatory conditions affecting the tissues that surround and support your teeth, primarily caused by bacterial plaque. The symptoms you’re experiencing, such as swelling, pain, and loose teeth, do align with more advanced gum disease stages. While your dentist has already started you on antibiotics to tackle any bacterial component, it’s crucial to know that antibiotics alone usually aren’t the full solution. They help manage acute infections, but successful management of periodontal disease often includes professional cleanings and possibly other interventions like scaling and root planing—fancy terms for a deep clean under the gums—to remove plaque and tartar.

If you’re worried about losing teeth, timely treatment significantly reduces that risk. A periodontist will evaluate the current state of your gum health, bone levels, and develop a tailored treatment plan. The ultimate goal is to halt the progression of the disease and stabilize your oral health. Before heading to the periodontist, mention any other symptoms like bleeding, unusual odor, or specific areas of concern. Keep in mind that adhering to the recommendations, like regular cleanings and good oral hygiene at home, is key to managing this condition long-term. Finally, continuing to have a balanced diet and avoiding tobacco use can support your gum health overall. It’s wise to follow up with the specialist soon to keep any damage under control and receive exact insights into your condition and treatment timeline.

21816 answered questions
91% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously

Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential. No sign-up needed.

About our doctors

Only qualified doctors who have confirmed the availability of medical education and other certificates of medical practice consult on our service. You can check the qualification confirmation in the doctor's profile.