AskDocDoc
/
/
/
ors water benefits
FREE!Ask Doctors — 24/7
Connect with Doctors 24/7. Ask anything, get expert help today.
500 doctors ONLINE
#1 Medical Platform
Ask question for free
00H : 24M : 08S
background image
Click Here
background image
General Health
Question #28102
209 days ago
475

ors water benefits

Pooja

I am totally confused about this whole ORS water benefits thing. Few weeks back, I started feeling super dehydrated after a nasty flu, ya know? The doc suggested I try ORS and said it had amazing ORS water benefits. But, I didn't really pay much attention at that time. I mean, how could a drink be THAT helpful? So, I bought the packet and mixed it like it said, but honestly, it tasted kinda weird. My friends told me the ORS water benefits were incredible, especially for someone like me who reaaaaally hates plain water. I started using it daily after workouts, but now I'm worried. Is it safe to keep drinking it, or am I overdoing it? Are there any downsides to drinking ORS too often? And like, what are the actual ORS water benefits everyone talks about? Should I just stick to regular water? I just wanna make sure I’m taking care of myself properly, you know? Any thoughts on how often I should have ORS water, and like, if it really can replace normal hydration? Thanks a million!

FREE
Question is closed
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously
Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential.
No sign-up needed.
CTA image asteriksCTA image

Doctors' responses

ORS, or Oral Rehydration Solution, is a specially formulated mixture of salts, glucose (or sugar), and water designed to help your body absorb fluids and electrolytes far more efficiently than plain water. Your doctor recommended it because you were likely dehydrated from the flu, which can cause a loss of fluids through symptoms like fever, sweating, vomiting, or diarrhea. ORS is excellent for rehydrating in those situations due to its balance of essential electrolytes like sodium and potassium. So, those initial benefits your friends mentioned are quite accurate. However, it’s not designed for regular consumption as a replacement for water, especially if you’re using it daily after workouts. While ORS can be extremely effective for preventing dehydration, its main goal is medical—meaning it should really be used during illness or significant fluid loss situations rather than daily hydration. Ingesting it frequently when not required can lead to an excess of certain electrolytes, like sodium, which might have other side effects on your health if not monitored properly. Your body primarily needs plain water under normal circumstances. Using ORS instead of simple water doesn’t provide any extra benefits during regular conditions and might cause imbalances if consumed too frequently without medical guidance. For regular hydration, stick with plain water or fluids with light electrolyte content post-exercise, unless you’re facing the same conditions that resulted in needing ORS at first (like illness-induced dehydration). Drink ORS only when there’s a genuine need for rapid rehydration due to medical issues or to replenish lost electrolytes. If you’re still worried or feel unsure about how you should be hydrating yourself truly, it might be worthwhile to discuss with your doctor about what would be optimal for your lifestyle and any specific health needs you have.

21805 answered questions
91% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously

Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential. No sign-up needed.

About our doctors

Only qualified doctors who have confirmed the availability of medical education and other certificates of medical practice consult on our service. You can check the qualification confirmation in the doctor's profile.


Dog vaccine related issues regarding symptoms
How to recover energy and improve sleep after taking metformin without a prescription?
Health Issues – Weakness, Numbness in Hands/Legs, Mild Chest Pain
Is it normal for my neck to be tilted to one side since childhood, and can exercises or physiotherapy help improve it?
Why do I feel extremely dizzy when I stand up quickly after giving birth?
How to reduce uric acid, fatty liver, triglycerides etc
How to know if Bump/Lump on armpit is harmful
I don’t know what’s happening to my body
Do I need a rabies booster after my puppy scratched me?
Advice Needed After Puppy Scratch
Seeking Guidance on Multiple Health Issues
Post menopausal spotting after 12 months of last period.
What supplements should I take for severe vitamin D and B12 deficiencies and low HDL levels?
What to do for severe Vitamin D deficiency with muscle pain and anxiety symptoms?
Concerns About Electrolyte Overdose and Weight Loss Effects
What is the safest anti-aging medication I can take?
What tests should I ask for to diagnose extreme fatigue and heart palpitations at 24 years old?
how many types of blood are there
what are the benefits of robotic surgery
how to control body heat
stain mark
Liver enzymes, the spot and sgpt value is 50
face per pimple
which is better shilajit or ashwagandha
apple cider vinegar is good for liver
Barbed wire puncture wound need tetanus shot or not
How To Fight Obesity At Home?
What Could Be Causing My Dizziness And Pale Face?
does ibuprofen help with sore throat
can we eat dry fruits in empty stomach