AskDocDoc
/
/
/
What causes sudden feelings of suffocation and difficulty breathing when upset?
FREE!Ask Doctors — 24/7
Connect with Doctors 24/7. Ask anything, get expert help today.
500 doctors ONLINE
#1 Medical Platform
Ask question for free
00H : 33M : 50S
background image
Click Here
background image
Lung & Breathing Conditions
Question #30908
102 days ago
363

What causes sudden feelings of suffocation and difficulty breathing when upset?

Client_a45f3b

I want to thank all the doctors, especially Dr. Bharat Joshi, Dr. Arsha K Isac, Dr. Prasannajeet Singh Shekhawat, and Dr. Shayeque Reza. I've had this sudden feeling of suffocation for about a year now. Additionally, when I cry or get angry, I start to breathe, but it's like I have a lot of air in my mouth.

FREE
Question is closed
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously
Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential.
No sign-up needed.
CTA image asteriksCTA image

Doctors' responses

Hello dear See dysnea on exertion can be related with Cardiac Respiratory issues Iam suggesting some tests Please share the result with pulmonary surgeon in person for better clarity and for safety please donot take any medication without consulting the concerned physician CBC Esr Serum ferritin Hemogram Ecg Chest x ray Spirometry Fevi feb2 respiratory capacity Hopefully you recover soon Regards

3585 answered questions
70% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies

Sudden feelings of suffocation and difficulty breathing during emotional distress, such as crying or anger, can often be attributed to anxiety or panic attacks. These episodes can cause hyperventilation, where you breathe in too much oxygen and expel too much carbon dioxide too quickly, which leads to feeling like there’s too much air, or an air hunger sensation. Your body may trigger this when your emotional state is heightened. It’s important to identify and address the underlying triggers of these episodes, as they might be linked to stress or past trauma. Recognizing the situation that brought on the feeling can be quite helpful. During such episodes, you might find it beneficial to practice slow and deep breathing techniques, consciously focusing on inhaling slowly through the nose and exhaling gently through the mouth. Paying attention to this breathing pattern can help normalize the oxygen and carbon dioxide levels in your blood. Mindfulness and meditation practices can also be effective to mitigate stress or anxiety triggers. If you are having persistent or escalating symptoms, seeking help from a mental health professional would be crucial. They could provide a diagnosis or management plan to help control these experiences. Plus, evaluating your overall lifestyle stressors and making adjustments that promote relaxation and balance can have a preventative effect. In case these feelings of suffocation are coupled with other serious symptoms like chest pain, fainting, or prolonged dizziness, those require immediate medical attention to rule out any other cardiac or pulmonary issues, as they can sometimes mimic anxiety attacks.

21816 answered questions
91% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously

Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential. No sign-up needed.

About our doctors

Only qualified doctors who have confirmed the availability of medical education and other certificates of medical practice consult on our service. You can check the qualification confirmation in the doctor's profile.


I have cough I’m a smoker when I deep breath I cough
Sir mughe sas lene m takleef hoti hai pr m montair lc tablet jab leta hu tu bilkul theek ho jata hu
How to reduce chest pain and fainting
What is asthma and what are its causes, symptoms, and management options for children and adults?
Advice on Managing Persistent Shortness of Breath
Sharp Chest Pain When Coughing
Breathing Difficulties After Substance Use
What to do if I have breathing problems and chest pain before and after eating?
पुरानी खांसी (कफ के साथ) के इलाज के लिए परामर्श
What should I do if I have trouble breathing and a heavy head after getting punched in the face?
What could be causing chest tightness and breathing problems before and after eating?
Cough with phlegm and chest pain after using asthma inhaler – is this normal?”
Breathing Issues After Indoor Climbing
Feeling heaviness in the chest and difficulty belching
What causes tightness in the chest and shortness of breath when climbing stairs?
كيف اعرف أن الوجع خطيرومحتاج دكتور
Persistent Cough and Rib Pain After Flu
What should I do if I've been feeling weird and experiencing breathing issues after climbing?
how to reduce pain, I have Anemia and chest pain
What to do for my 7-year-old daughter who has a persistent cough that worsens with activity?
Breathing problem chest pain or
What causes sudden feelings of suffocation and difficulty breathing when crying or angry?
What to do if I'm experiencing heavy breathing, nausea while eating, and dizziness when not lying down?
breathing issues reasons
copd vs asthma difference
pulmonology diseases
Continue khansi chal rahi
what is the best medicine for copd?
how many types of pranayama are there
What are the 3 causes of COPD?