AskDocDoc
/
/
/
What causes sudden feelings of suffocation and difficulty breathing when crying or angry?
FREE!Ask Doctors — 24/7
Connect with Doctors 24/7. Ask anything, get expert help today.
500 doctors ONLINE
#1 Medical Platform
Ask question for free
00H : 33M : 49S
background image
Click Here
background image
Lung & Breathing Conditions
Question #30909
102 days ago
306

What causes sudden feelings of suffocation and difficulty breathing when crying or angry?

Client_a45f3b

I want to thank all the doctors, especially Dr. Bharat Joshi, Dr. Arsha K Isac, Dr. Prasannajeet Singh Shekhawat, and Dr. Shayeque Reza. I've had this sudden feeling of suffocation for about a year now. Additionally, when I cry or get angry, I start to breathe, but it's like I have a lot of air in my mouth.

FREE
Question is closed
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously
Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential.
No sign-up needed.
CTA image asteriksCTA image

Doctors' responses

Hello dear See dysnea on exertion can be related with Cardiac Respiratory issues Iam suggesting some tests Please share the result with pulmonary surgeon in person for better clarity and for safety please donot take any medication without consulting the concerned physician CBC Esr Serum ferritin Hemogram Ecg Chest x ray Spirometry Fevi feb2 respiratory capacity Hopefully you recover soon Regards

3585 answered questions
70% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies

Sudden feelings of suffocation and difficulty breathing when upset could be linked to anxiety or panic attacks. Emotional stress can trigger the autonomic nervous system, leading to symptoms like shortness of breath or a feeling of air being trapped in the mouth. It’s not uncommon for such symptoms to escalate during high emotion, like crying or anger, due to hyperventilation, where you breathe faster than normal. This kind of breathing can change the right levels of carbon dioxide in your blood, sometimes leading to the feeling of not getting enough air. Another angle to consider is an underlying respiratory condition, like asthma which can also be triggered by emotional states and cause difficulty breathing and a sensation of air hunger. If these episodes are frequent, it’s crucial to discuss with a healthcare provider. They might recommend stethoscopic examination or spirometry to check lung function or even refer you to mental health services if anxiety is suspected to contribute. For managing at home, when a situation arises, try paced breathing: counting to four as you inhale slowly and deeply through your nose, then exhaling through the mouth over the count of six. This can help recalibrate your breathing. Reducing known triggers, if identifiable, and maintaining a healthy lifestyle—like regular exercise, balanced diet, and stress-reducing activities—may offer preventive benefits. However, if you ever feel that this is leading to severe breathlessness or if you’re experiencing chest pain, seek medical attention promptly as these could be symptoms of a more serious condition.

21816 answered questions
91% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously

Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential. No sign-up needed.

About our doctors

Only qualified doctors who have confirmed the availability of medical education and other certificates of medical practice consult on our service. You can check the qualification confirmation in the doctor's profile.


I have cough I’m a smoker when I deep breath I cough
Sir mughe sas lene m takleef hoti hai pr m montair lc tablet jab leta hu tu bilkul theek ho jata hu
How to reduce chest pain and fainting
What is asthma and what are its causes, symptoms, and management options for children and adults?
Advice on Managing Persistent Shortness of Breath
Sharp Chest Pain When Coughing
Breathing Difficulties After Substance Use
What to do if I have breathing problems and chest pain before and after eating?
पुरानी खांसी (कफ के साथ) के इलाज के लिए परामर्श
What should I do if I have trouble breathing and a heavy head after getting punched in the face?
What could be causing chest tightness and breathing problems before and after eating?
Cough with phlegm and chest pain after using asthma inhaler – is this normal?”
Breathing Issues After Indoor Climbing
Feeling heaviness in the chest and difficulty belching
What causes tightness in the chest and shortness of breath when climbing stairs?
كيف اعرف أن الوجع خطيرومحتاج دكتور
Persistent Cough and Rib Pain After Flu
What should I do if I've been feeling weird and experiencing breathing issues after climbing?
how to reduce pain, I have Anemia and chest pain
What to do for my 7-year-old daughter who has a persistent cough that worsens with activity?
Breathing problem chest pain or
What causes sudden feelings of suffocation and difficulty breathing when upset?
What to do if I'm experiencing heavy breathing, nausea while eating, and dizziness when not lying down?
breathing issues reasons
copd vs asthma difference
pulmonology diseases
Continue khansi chal rahi
what is the best medicine for copd?
how many types of pranayama are there
What are the 3 causes of COPD?