AskDocDoc
/
/
/
What to do if my period is late after taking I-pill?
FREE!Ask Doctors — 24/7
Connect with Doctors 24/7. Ask anything, get expert help today.
500 doctors ONLINE
#1 Medical Platform
Ask question for free
00H : 52M : 00S
background image
Click Here
background image
Gynecology & Pregnancy Care
Question #24908
239 days ago
615

What to do if my period is late after taking I-pill?

Client_471bb5

My period date has passed or I have not received my period yet. It has been 8 days since my period date has passed or I have done pregnancy test twice and both the times it is negative or I took I-pill 30 days ago and I have not received my period yet. What should I do now or which medicine should I take to bring my period?

Have you experienced any other symptoms besides a missed period?:

- No other symptoms

What is your typical menstrual cycle length?:

- 28 days

Have you had any significant lifestyle changes recently?:

- No changes
FREE
Question is closed
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously
Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential.
No sign-up needed.
CTA image asteriksCTA image

Doctors' responses

Hello

If you took an I-pill (levonorgestrel emergency contraceptive), it can delay your period by up to 1–2 weeks.

An 8-day delay is common after taking it.

Since you did two pregnancy tests and both are negative (30 days after I-pill), pregnancy is very unlikely.

What to do:

Wait another 5–7 days — your period should come naturally.

Repeat a pregnancy test only if it is delayed beyond 2 weeks.

Do not take any medicine to “bring” your period without a doctor’s advice.

If your period doesn’t come after 2 weeks more, consult a gynecologist for evaluation.

Most likely, this is just a temporary hormonal disturbance from the I-pill.

I trust this helps Thank you Take care

1986 answered questions
57% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies

Hello dear See i pill is a ocd medication. It contains levonorgesteral which delayes ovulation and normal reproductive cycle. I am suggesting some tests. Please share the result with gynaecologist in person for better clarity Pelvic USG Serum prolactin Serum ferritin Pregnancy strip blood HCG test after 7 days Urine analysis Lft Rft CBC Esr Serum rbs Serum tsh In addition As suggested get pregnancy strip test blood after 7 days as mentioned Wait for atleast 5-7 days Please share the result with gynaecologist in person for better clarity and for safety please donot take any medication without consulting the concerned physician Regards

3585 answered questions
70% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies

Delayed periods after taking an emergency contraceptive like the I-pill can be quite common. Emergency contraceptives can temporarily disrupt your menstrual cycle due to the high doses of hormones they contain. While this can cause some delay in your period, it’s crucial to consider a few steps forward to ensure everything is on track. Firstly, it’s important to rule out pregnancy, despite negative tests it’s best to repeat a home pregnancy test or consult a healthcare provider for a more sensitive test like a blood test. Sometimes, testing too early can lead to a false negative result, especially if ovulation was delayed. If pregnancy is ruled out and you haven’t received your period in a couple of weeks, it’s reasonable to consult with your healthcare provider. They can evaluate for other potential causes of missed periods such as stress, changes in weight, or underlying health conditions like polycystic ovary syndrome. An assessment might include discussing your full medical history, any other symptoms, or factors potentially affecting your cycle. Meanwhile, maintaining a healthy lifestyle – like balanced nutrition, regular exercise, and managing stress – can support menstrual regularity. Avoid taking any medications to induce your period without medical oversight as they can interact with your current health profile or any unnoticed medical condition. If you’re experiencing any other concerning symptoms, like unusual pain or excessive weight changes, these could warrant earlier medical evaluation. In any scenario where medical advice is needed, the judgment and evaluation of a healthcare professional should guide you on appropriate next steps.

21825 answered questions
91% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously

Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential. No sign-up needed.

About our doctors

Only qualified doctors who have confirmed the availability of medical education and other certificates of medical practice consult on our service. You can check the qualification confirmation in the doctor's profile.


How to induce period after taking emergency pill
Pregnancy test positive aaya hai aur abortion pill ke liye
Is my hymen broken after high bidet pressure?
What should I do if I have severe headaches, dizziness, and shortness of breath while on Sprintec?
PCOD in Early Pregnancy: Myo‑D‑Chiro Inositol and Progesterone Guidance
Concerns About Breakthrough Bleeding While on Birth Control
What causes irregular periods and light flow with slight stomach pain in a 21-year-old student?
What to do if my period is late after unprotected sex a week ago?
What could be the cause of my irregular periods and prolonged bleeding after two months without menstruation?
I want to postpone my periods which is supposed to come next week.what medicine should I take?
Pregnancy related concern and wanted to be sure
Period hasnotyet come what should
Is a 2.4mm nuchal translucency at 13 weeks normal or should I be worried?
Pcos & vaginal infection & cyst
My vigina has bevome red the lips and outer lips of vigna are red and iches
Delay Period ko jaldi kaise laye
Concerns About Irregular Cycle and Pregnancy After Emergency Contraception
I'm suffering from vaginal itching and white discharge
If i am pregnant or not scared and want to know if i am pregnant or not
Can I be pregnant with PCOS....................
Help with Prolonged Menstrual Bleeding
Abortion in 11 weeks -18weeks.....
Doubt about periods and pergancy
What to do for severe burning and soreness around the inner labia after rough sex and cycling?
Pregnancy is possible or not ??
is onion good in pregnancy
What is causing my irregular menstrual cycle this year?
How to get my period early before traveling to Vrindavan?
What to do if my periods are late after taking emergency contraception?
Can I get pregnant if I've had unprotected sex for a year and took emergency contraception?