AskDocDoc
/
/
/
Is it safe to use boric acid for yeast infections while breastfeeding?
FREE!Ask Doctors — 24/7
Connect with Doctors 24/7. Ask anything, get expert help today.
500 doctors ONLINE
#1 Medical Platform
Ask question for free
00H : 41M : 51S
background image
Click Here
background image
Gynecology & Pregnancy Care
Question #29537
169 days ago
387

Is it safe to use boric acid for yeast infections while breastfeeding?

Client_bf8a81

Hi! When I had my first born in 2022 I kept getting yeast infections I went to my dr several times and nothings worked completely. It’llgo and come back again.I now have another child in 2025 did a Pap smear and I have a yeast infection again again. So this time i purchased boric acid from the pharmacy.When I read the label it says it’s not recommended if I am breastfeeding.I have been breastfeeding for over a year now what should I do? Is it safe to use while breastfeeding?

How long have you been experiencing yeast infections?:

- More than 6 months

Have you noticed any specific triggers for your yeast infections?:

- No specific triggers

What symptoms are you experiencing with the yeast infection?:

- Itching

Have you tried any treatments for your yeast infections in the past?:

- Prescription medication

How has breastfeeding been for you during this time?:

- Very comfortable

Have you discussed your yeast infection and treatment options with your doctor?:

- No, not yet
FREE
Question is closed
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously
Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential.
No sign-up needed.
CTA image asteriksCTA image

Doctors' responses

Hello dear I think it is probably candidiasis which is recurrent See boric acid has been used for counteracting skin infection but it has not proven to be quite effective

Infact, Antifungal medication like candid and clozed m are quite more effective However for breast feeding use consult general physician medicine 💊 for better clarity Regards

3585 answered questions
70% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies

Hello

Boric acid vaginal suppositories are generally not recommended while breastfeeding unless a doctor specifically advises it.

Boric acid can be absorbed through the vaginal lining in small amounts, and although serious harm to breastfed infants is unlikely, there is limited safety data, so manufacturers and clinicians tend to be cautious—especially when safer, well-studied treatments exist for Vaginal yeast infection during breastfeeding.

Since you’ve had recurrent yeast infections for years, the key issue is not just treatment but identifying why they keep coming back. Common reasons include incomplete eradication of yeast, resistant strains, hormonal changes after pregnancy, antibiotic use, diabetes or prediabetes, or mixed infections (for example yeast plus Bacterial vaginosis). In those situations, boric acid is sometimes used as a second-line option—but typically under medical guidance.

Safer first-line treatments while breastfeeding usually include topical antifungal medications such as clotrimazole or miconazole, or oral fluconazole when prescribed, all of which have much better safety data in lactation. If infections are frequent (for example, 4 or more per year), doctors may use a longer suppression regimen rather than repeated short treatments.

What you should do now: It would be best to pause using the boric acid for the moment and speak with your clinician about recurrent infection management. Ask specifically whether this is truly recurrent yeast or possibly another condition, and whether a culture test is needed before choosing treatment.

Seek care sooner if you develop fever, pelvic pain, foul discharge, or symptoms that do not improve after treatment.

1986 answered questions
57% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies

It’s important to be cautious with any treatment during breastfeeding. Boric acid is not generally recommended for use while breastfeeding primarily due to a lack of studies establishing its safety profile in this context. Consequently, there’s a risk of it passing into breast milk and affecting the infant, although the degree of risk isn’t clearly defined. In cases like yours, when standard treatments haven’t fully resolved the issue, it’s advisable to return to your healthcare provider to discuss alternative options that are safe for both you and your baby. There are several potential solutions, such as topical antifungal creams or oral medications that may be suitable for breastfeeding mothers. Additionally, if you haven’t done so already, consider evaluating any lifestyle factors that might be contributing to recurrent yeast infections. These could include dietary changes, increased moisture, the use of antibiotics, or other environmental factors. Probiotics, although not a definitive treatment, can sometimes help in balancing the vaginal flora and potentially reducing the recurrence of yeast infections. It’s essential to have a comprehensive approach to address both the symptoms and underlying causes. If your symptoms persist or worsen, or if you experience any unusual symptoms, make sure to seek further medical advice. Continued recurrent infections may warrant investigation for any underlying conditions that could be predisposing you to these infections. Overall, prioritizing treatments proven to be safe for breastfeeding while effectively managing your symptoms is crucial for both you and your baby’s health.

21727 answered questions
91% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously

Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential. No sign-up needed.

About our doctors

Only qualified doctors who have confirmed the availability of medical education and other certificates of medical practice consult on our service. You can check the qualification confirmation in the doctor's profile.


My periods are delayed by 14 days
Baby conceiving problem after2 years
Vaginal skin peeling with cuts,itchy skin and burning and have smell
About I'm pregnant or not confirming
What are the natural ways to regulate my periods and manage PCOS symptoms at 17 years old?
Is it normal to have minor bleeding after taking an I pill during my period?
What to do if my period is unusual and I had unprotected sex, could I be pregnant?
What causes irregular periods and light flow with slight stomach pain in a 21-year-old student?
What is causing thick curd-like discharge and itching before my period?
What should I do if I have severe headaches, dizziness, and shortness of breath while on Sprintec?
Worried About Taking the Wrong Medication During Pregnancy
I am not getting my periods.since
What should I do if my vagina is very sensitive and I have heavy white discharge after sex?
Irregular periods , unwanted white discharge with bad smell and itching in private part
What to do if I'm 6 weeks pregnant and experiencing bright red bleeding and passing clots?
Clotrimazole 250 mg vaginal suppositories are recommended?
3 months I didn't get periods. But then, I got that now. But for one month it is continuously bleeding. Not stopping!what should I do .
Late ovulation with improtected intercourse need advice
What should I do if my abortion medication didn't work?
Pergancy happen through clothes
What to do for heavy periods causing anemia and weakness during menstruation?
Menstrual Irregularity and Absence of Periods
3 saal ho gye marriage ko usme humne sex kiya to 5 se 7 bar unwanted72 tablet use kri thi pahle ab kal sex kiya to light bleeding ho rhi h usme
What to do for irregular periods after family planning surgery with normal deliveries?
I want to know my babys gender through my scans plz help
Is it normalif periods blood flow reduces with time
Can we stop periods 1-2 day early
Concern About Irregular Periods
What to do if sex is painful and I can't complete it after two years of marriage?
Abortion in 11 weeks -18weeks.....