AskDocDoc
FREE!Ask Doctors — 24/7
Connect with Doctors 24/7. Ask anything, get expert help today.
500 doctors ONLINE
#1 Medical Platform
Ask question for free
00H : 27M : 04S
background image
Click Here
background image
Endocrine & Hormonal Imbalances
Question #24246
238 days ago
466

what is thyroid test called

Shivam

I am really worried about my health right now. I've been feeling super fatigued and kinda dizzy lately, like I can't even get out of bed some days. My doctor mentioned something about checking my thyroid levels but didn't really explain further. I overheard someone at the pharmacy talking about a thyroid test but couldn't quite catch what is thyroid test called. I'm curious if there’s more than one type of test. Honestly, I’m freaking out a bit because my mom had thyroid issues and I remember it was a big deal for her. I finally asked my doctor about it and he just said it would be a simple blood test, but I can't help but feel anxious. What should I expect? I've read about TSH and T3 and T4 levels but what is thyroid test called in the first place? Like, is there a specific name for the test he will do on me? And do you guys think I should push for more tests if I feel like something is really off? I just want to be sure I’m taking care of this. I dont want to miss anything important with all this tiredness and confusion swirling around in my head. Anyone else have experiences with this? What is thyroid test called if there’s more than one, and what do they check for usually? Thanks all, really appreciate any info.

FREE
Question is closed
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously
Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential.
No sign-up needed.
CTA image asteriksCTA image

Doctors' responses

The thyroid test you’re referring to is typically called a “thyroid function test,” which usually involves a series of blood tests that help evaluate how well your thyroid gland is working. The most common initial test is the Thyroid-Stimulating Hormone (TSH) test. This test measures the level of TSH in your blood, which is the hormone that regulates the production of hormones by your thyroid gland. If your TSH levels are abnormal, your doctor might also check the levels of Thyroxine (T4) and Triiodothyronine (T3) to get a more comprehensive picture. These hormones are critical because they determine your body’s metabolism rate, and any imbalance can cause symptoms like fatigue, dizziness, and more. It’s pretty common to have these tests done if you’re experiencing the symptoms you mentioned, especially since you have a family history of thyroid issues. If the initial results are clear, additional tests may not be necessary; however, if the results are borderline or you’re still feeling unwell, your doctor may recommend further tests or a comprehensive evaluation to rule out other possible concerns. Some conditions that can mimic thyroid issues include anemia and vitamin deficiencies. Make sure to communicate openly with your physician about all your health concerns and symptoms – this will help ensure a thorough investigation. While it can be nerve-wracking, remember that getting these tests is an important step towards identifying and managing any issues early on.

21760 answered questions
91% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously

Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential. No sign-up needed.

About our doctors

Only qualified doctors who have confirmed the availability of medical education and other certificates of medical practice consult on our service. You can check the qualification confirmation in the doctor's profile.


Pcod and pain in back and stomach and period delay 10 days
what is the reason for delayed periods?
Can I experience hypoglycemia with once daily metformin and a C-Peptide of 1.5?
Liver problem and frequent stone formation
Frequent formation of liver stones because of OCH
"How to get rid of recurrent hypoglycemia'
Low Muscle Mass/ Muscle Wasting
My mother She needs a total thyroidectomy with removal of the lymph node
Ihave marfanoid syndrome and because of this i think my originalgrawth and development of body has stopped. My weight is not gain even i have ghd
Severe Pain in Thyroid Area with Difficulty Swallowing
how to increase height at my age
How to reduce male boobs my overbust is 40 inches and underbust is 37 inches
What to do for hormonal imbalance causing irregular periods after a year?
Quero parar a nova cartela ela está no 7 dia e continuo com ausência da menstruação
What should I know about high heart rate and Cushing's syndrome before my endocrinologist appointment?
How can I improve my testosterone levels naturally?
How long can I continue to grow taller at 21 years old, and is it possible to grow another 5 cm?
why milk comes from breast without pregnancy
Height increase related,i am5.5 feet so
What To Avoid When Taking Jardiance?
How to reduce metabolism
can hyperthyroidism be cured
best thyroid specialist in delhi ncr
what causes high cholesterol
diabetes types name
high sugar patient diet chart
how to increase your body temperature
diabetes patient diet chart
diet chart for diabetes
why we get cold