AskDocDoc
/
/
/
does ibuprofen help with sore throat
FREE!Ask Doctors — 24/7
Connect with Doctors 24/7. Ask anything, get expert help today.
500 doctors ONLINE
#1 Medical Platform
Ask question for free
00H : 23M : 38S
background image
Click Here
background image
General Health
Question #25761
231 days ago
455

does ibuprofen help with sore throat

Advait

I am wonderin, does ibuprofen help with sore throat? I’ve been feeling under the weather for the past few days, like really bad. My throat is killing me, and I can barely swallow. It started off as just a tickle, ya know? Then it got worse, and now it hurts like crazy. I tried some throat lozenges and honey tea but no luck. A friend mentioned ibuprofen could relieve the pain, but I haven’t taken it yet. Like, does ibuprofen help with sore throat, really? I read about its anti-inflammatory properties, so I'm hoping it might bring down the swelling too. Also, my head hurts, and I’m kinda running a low-grade fever. Should I be cautious about taking ibuprofen for a sore throat? I’ve heard mixed things — some say it’s effective, others think it's not worth it. What do you all think? And is there a max dose I should stick to? I juss want to feel better so I can get back to work; this is really throwin' a wrench in my week!

FREE
Question is closed
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously
Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential.
No sign-up needed.
CTA image asteriksCTA image

Doctors' responses

Ibuprofen can indeed help with a sore throat by reducing pain and inflammation, thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties. It can be a useful part of managing symptoms like throat pain, headache, and fever, making it a decent choice for what you’re experiencing. That being said, it’s important to use it appropriately. Typically, for adults, the recommended dose is 200-400 mg every 4 to 6 hours as needed, but don’t exceed 1200 mg in a 24-hour period unless advised by a healthcare provider. Always take ibuprofen with food to minimize stomach upset, and stay hydrated.

While ibuprofen can be helpful, if your sore throat persists or worsens, or if you develop additional symptoms like difficulty breathing, a high fever, or a rash, you should consider seeking medical advice. These could be signs of a more serious condition like strep throat or another infection that might require further treatment.

Ibuprofen’s effectiveness can vary between individuals, and some people may find more relief than others. If ibuprofen doesn’t seem to help, acetaminophen is an alternative for pain and fever relief. However, consult your pharmacist or doctor before combining, to ensure there’s no risk of interaction, especially if you’re on other medications or have any existing health conditions.

In the meantime, keep a humidifier running in your room, drink plenty of fluids, and rest as much as possible. These supplemental steps can aid your recovery. If you have any concerns about taking ibuprofen, or if there’s a history of allergy or other contraindications, it is always wise to double-check with your healthcare provider before starting a new treatment.

21805 answered questions
91% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously

Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential. No sign-up needed.

About our doctors

Only qualified doctors who have confirmed the availability of medical education and other certificates of medical practice consult on our service. You can check the qualification confirmation in the doctor's profile.


Dog vaccine related issues regarding symptoms
How to recover energy and improve sleep after taking metformin without a prescription?
Health Issues – Weakness, Numbness in Hands/Legs, Mild Chest Pain
Is it normal for my neck to be tilted to one side since childhood, and can exercises or physiotherapy help improve it?
Why do I feel extremely dizzy when I stand up quickly after giving birth?
How to reduce uric acid, fatty liver, triglycerides etc
How to know if Bump/Lump on armpit is harmful
I don’t know what’s happening to my body
Do I need a rabies booster after my puppy scratched me?
Advice Needed After Puppy Scratch
Seeking Guidance on Multiple Health Issues
Post menopausal spotting after 12 months of last period.
What supplements should I take for severe vitamin D and B12 deficiencies and low HDL levels?
What to do for severe Vitamin D deficiency with muscle pain and anxiety symptoms?
Concerns About Electrolyte Overdose and Weight Loss Effects
What is the safest anti-aging medication I can take?
What tests should I ask for to diagnose extreme fatigue and heart palpitations at 24 years old?
how many types of blood are there
what are the benefits of robotic surgery
how to control body heat
stain mark
Liver enzymes, the spot and sgpt value is 50
face per pimple
which is better shilajit or ashwagandha
apple cider vinegar is good for liver
Barbed wire puncture wound need tetanus shot or not
ors water benefits
How To Fight Obesity At Home?
What Could Be Causing My Dizziness And Pale Face?
can we eat dry fruits in empty stomach