AskDocDoc
/
/
/
What Are the Best Emergency Contraception Options After Unprotected Sex?
FREE!Ask Doctors — 24/7
Connect with Doctors 24/7. Ask anything, get expert help today.
500 doctors ONLINE
#1 Medical Platform
Ask question for free
00H : 03M : 49S
background image
Click Here
background image
Fertility & Reproductive Support
Question #31891
3 hours ago
11

What Are the Best Emergency Contraception Options After Unprotected Sex?

Vikram

Emergency contraception is a crucial option for individuals who have had unprotected sex and want to prevent an unintended pregnancy. Many wonder what types of emergency contraception are available and how effective they are when taken after intercourse. It's also common to ask about the timing of these methods and any potential side effects they may cause. Understanding the different emergency contraception options can help individuals make informed decisions about their reproductive health.

FREE
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously
Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential.
No sign-up needed.
CTA image asteriksCTA image

Doctors' responses

Emergency contraception is a method used to prevent pregnancy after unprotected sex or contraceptive failure. There are several options available, including emergency contraceptive pills (ECPs) and the copper intrauterine device (IUD), which can be used effectively within specific time frames following unprotected intercourse.

Q: What are the types of emergency contraception available? A: The two main types of emergency contraception are emergency contraceptive pills (such as levonorgestrel and ulipristal acetate) and the copper intrauterine device (IUD). ECPs are most effective when taken within 72 to 120 hours after unprotected sex, while the copper IUD can be inserted by a healthcare provider up to five days after intercourse.

Q: How effective is emergency contraception? A: Emergency contraception is most effective when used as soon as possible after unprotected sex. Levonorgestrel is approximately 89% effective when taken within 72 hours, while ulipristal acetate is about 85% effective up to 120 hours post-intercourse. The copper IUD has a failure rate of less than 1% when used as emergency contraception.

Q: Are there any side effects associated with emergency contraception? A: Common side effects of emergency contraception may include nausea, fatigue, headache, dizziness, breast tenderness, and changes in menstrual bleeding. These side effects are generally mild and resolve on their own, but if severe symptoms occur, it’s important to consult a healthcare provider.

Q: When should I see a doctor after using emergency contraception? A: You should see a doctor if your period is more than a week late after taking emergency contraception, if you experience severe abdominal pain, or if you have symptoms of an allergic reaction or other severe side effects. It’s also advisable to discuss ongoing contraceptive options with a healthcare provider to prevent future unprotected sex.

91% best answers

0 replies
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously

Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential. No sign-up needed.

About our doctors

Only qualified doctors who have confirmed the availability of medical education and other certificates of medical practice consult on our service. You can check the qualification confirmation in the doctor's profile.


Vaginally odor for over a year with unusual discharge and itchiness sometimes
Why does my nipples stops hurting
Issue related to pregnancy and concerned
CONTINUOUS MASTURBATIONFOR 3 TIMES AND LAST TIME IS NO SPERM OUT
Is my normal morphology okay also motility is also around 35
Is brown and red discharge norma before 8 day expected cycle?
How to interpret my pregnancy test results?
Struggling to Conceive After 11 Months With PCOS Despite Letrozole Treatment
Periods irregular 20 year 2 mahine se ni aaye
Will a beta HCG test 10 days after intercourse show a definite result?
I have PCOD and have been trying to conceive for 5 months — is PCOD the reason I'm not getting pregnant, and what should I do next?
Could I possibly be pregnant? Realistically I don’t think I could be but I’m scared
How do I know if my period cramps should be something I need to worry about!
Delayed periods for a month .....
Can rubbing the vagina with hands or a pillow cause pregnancy without a man?
Am i pregnant? I had sex on 28th day
Can I get my partner pregnant if I ejaculated on the skin of my penis before her period?
How increase AMH level in the body
What tests or steps should I take for infertility after 4 years of trying to conceive with PCOS and insulin resistance?
Consultation about Phimosis at Age 12
Concerns About Semen Analysis and Gynaecologist Consultations
How to overcome from pme and tight foreskin issue
How to improve Amh and sperm motility
How to increase sex time and size of th penis
Struggling to Conceive After 15 Months of Marriage
How to stop periods and get them on time
Peritubal adhesions and infertility
العضو الذكري طوله9 وانا عمري17 ومسبب لي خوف الشي ذا
How to manage period disorder as
Baby conceive problem h pls btaye