AskDocDoc
/
/
/
can typhoid spread through cough
FREE!Ask Doctors — 24/7
Connect with Doctors 24/7. Ask anything, get expert help today.
500 doctors ONLINE
#1 Medical Platform
Ask question for free
00H : 13M : 01S
background image
Click Here
background image
Infectious Illnesses
Question #28413
208 days ago
772

can typhoid spread through cough

Reyansh

I am really worried about something that’s been going on with my family. A few weeks ago, my younger brother got diagnosed with typhoid after having a fever that just wouldn’t go away. We thought maybe it was a regular flu at first, but then the doctor said it was typhoid. Ugh, so stressful. Now I'm freaked out because I’ve noticed that my mom has started coughing a lot! Like, really dry and persistent. It got me thinking, can typhoid spread through cough? I mean, I thought it was just through contaminated food or water. If my brother was coughing around her, could it somehow put her at risk? It feels like all this info is swirling in my mind and I can't make sense of it. We’re doing our best to keep everything sanitized and clean, but then I panic and wonder if we missed something. Please help! Like, should we be extra cautious now? Can typhoid spread through cough in any way or is that just a myth? I don’t want to take any chances, especially with my mom’s health. Thank you!

FREE
Question is closed
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously
Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential.
No sign-up needed.
CTA image asteriksCTA image

Doctors' responses

Typhoid fever is caused by the bacterium Salmonella Typhi, and it primarily spreads through the consumption of contaminated food or water, not through coughing or respiratory droplets like the flu or a cold. The bacteria are typically shed in the feces and less commonly in the urine of infected people, which can lead to contamination if proper hygiene practices are not followed. So, generally, typhoid doesn’t spread via coughing, and your mother’s cough is likely unrelated to your brother’s diagnosis of typhoid. However, maintaining good hygiene practices is crucial. This includes hand-washing with soap and water, especially after using the bathroom and before preparing or eating food. While your brother’s symptoms and diagnosis are understandably concerning, it would be beneficial to address your mother’s cough as a separate health concern. Persistent dry coughs can stem from various causes including viral infections, allergies, or even changes in environment. If your mother’s cough is persistent, she should definitely see a doctor to get a proper evaluation and ensure it’s managed appropriately. The key thing here is to stay calm and continue focusing on hygiene and cleanliness around the household. If in doubt, it’s best to consult a healthcare professional who can provide tailored advice considering her overall health and any other symptoms she might be experiencing.

21816 answered questions
91% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously

Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential. No sign-up needed.

About our doctors

Only qualified doctors who have confirmed the availability of medical education and other certificates of medical practice consult on our service. You can check the qualification confirmation in the doctor's profile.


I have inflammatory etiology, I am getting lymph nodes in my both armpits that are painful some time pus is also draining what to do
My eye has pain to its right side
Why is my ribcages are paining after taking UTI medication?
Is it okay to have tests after taking ibuprofen? I have temperature 39,3
What to do if I can't remember possible rabies exposure after being in the woods?
Immediate Help Needed. Throat is swollen.
Request for Follow-Up on Rabies Vaccination
How to treat stomach pain that comes every 10-15 days while dealing with tuberculosis?
How to reduce inflation in the body?
What does a positive Anti-HBc mean for my liver health if all other tests are normal?
What to do about persistent nasal discharge and fatigue after nasal polyps surgery and aspergillus treatment?
What to do about persistent nasal discharge and fatigue after sinus surgery for aspergillus infection?
Im currently undergoing my rabies vaccination series however Igot scratch from my puppy again and what precaution should I take
Should I take my grandma to the hospital for her leg symptoms?
ফাংগুল কী কোরে কোমবে বিরক্ত লাগছে?
Persistent Lightheadedness After High Fever
Is it possible for appendicitis symptoms to improve with medication alone, and what should I watch for?
Is it safe to take rabies shots for a small cat scratch on my finger?
how typhoid spreads
is there a vaccine for hepatitis c
Which fruit is best for dengue?
best fruits for dengue patient
Can viral fever last for 5 days?
diet during dengue
what causes hepatitis c
yellow fever vaccination in chennai
Do I need a rabies booster again?
causes of chikungunya
is hepatitis c curable
most dangerous mosquito in india