AskDocDoc
/
/
/
What Causes Itching, Swelling, and Sores in the Genital Area?
FREE!Ask Doctors — 24/7
Connect with Doctors 24/7. Ask anything, get expert help today.
500 doctors ONLINE
#1 Medical Platform
Ask question for free
00H : 04M : 02S
background image
Click Here
background image
Sexual Health & Wellness
Question #31881
17 hours ago
27

What Causes Itching, Swelling, and Sores in the Genital Area?

Reyansh

Genital itching and sores can be uncomfortable and concerning, often leading individuals to wonder about the underlying causes and potential treatments. Many people experience symptoms such as itching, swelling, and sores in the genital area, which can result from various conditions, including infections or skin irritations. Understanding the reasons behind these symptoms is crucial for effective management and relief. What are the common causes of genital itching and sores, and how can they be treated?

FREE
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously
Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential.
No sign-up needed.
CTA image asteriksCTA image

Doctors' responses

Genital itching, swelling, and sores can be symptoms of various medical conditions, including infections, skin disorders, or sexually transmitted infections (STIs). It is important to seek medical evaluation to determine the underlying cause, as timely diagnosis and treatment can prevent complications.

Q: What causes genital itching, swelling, and sores?
A: Genital itching, swelling, and sores can result from infections such as yeast infections, bacterial vaginosis, herpes simplex virus, or sexually transmitted infections like chlamydia and gonorrhea. Skin conditions like eczema or contact dermatitis may also cause these symptoms. A healthcare provider can help identify the specific cause through examination and testing.

Q: How can I treat genital itching, swelling, and sores at home?
A: While self-care measures like maintaining good hygiene and avoiding irritants may provide temporary relief, it is crucial to consult a healthcare provider for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate treatment. Over-the-counter antifungal or hydrocortisone creams may help with mild itching, but they are not a substitute for professional medical advice.

Q: When should I see a doctor for genital itching, swelling, and sores?
A: You should seek medical attention if you experience persistent or severe itching, if sores are painful or worsening, or if you notice unusual discharge or bleeding. Additionally, if you have a fever or if the symptoms are accompanied by pain during urination or intercourse, it is important to see a healthcare provider promptly.

Q: Are genital sores always a sign of an STI?
A: Not all genital sores are indicative of a sexually transmitted infection. They can also be caused by non-infectious conditions like allergic reactions, skin irritations, or inflammatory disorders. A healthcare professional can help determine the cause of the sores and recommend appropriate treatment based on the diagnosis.

91% best answers

0 replies
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously

Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential. No sign-up needed.

About our doctors

Only qualified doctors who have confirmed the availability of medical education and other certificates of medical practice consult on our service. You can check the qualification confirmation in the doctor's profile.


I had intimate moment with my partner no intercourse but we are in doubt.
Concerns About Testicular Torsion Risk
Erection and premature ejaculates
Irritating Blisters and Pus in Vaginal Area After Intercourse
I wanna take viagra can i take it
What is penile curvature and how to treat it if my penis bends downward at 49 degrees?
Sexual health nightfall ki problem
Do I need a rabies vaccine after being bitten by a stray puppy on my private area?
Questions about Contraception and PCOD
Is there a risk of pregnancy after using a previously used condom?
Can sexual conditioning be treated if someone is only aroused by a specific person?
What are the chances of pregnancy after unprotected sex and taking an emergency contraceptive?
Is it possible to have an STD if I had oral sex and now have stomach ache, nausea, and sore throat?
I am underage. What should I say to the gynecologist? Please give me advice. I had unprotected sex without realizing it."
What is the normal penis size for a 19-year-old and why is mine small with no sperm?
Premature ejaculation for the last 30 years
What to do if I have nightly ejaculation with burning sensation and weakness?
How to improve sexual timing and get rid of premature ejaculation
Blister and Pus Formation After Intercourse
Presence of blood which I feel or brownish semen
Dúvida simples sobre o penis mais que tenho dúvidas
What is a circular rash on the head of my penis that isn't itchy or painful?
What is the best treatment for premature ejaculation in a 29-year-old male?
“22M, with Longstanding Penile Bump – Concern About Cancer?”
Facing problem with Erectile disfunction and early ejaculation.
Am I safe from HIV after unprotected sex if I took PrEP and he claims to be undetectable?
Concerns About Semen Color Changes
Itching, swelling and white cheese like substance in vagina
Szansa na ciążę przy nieregularnych cyklach
How to cure phimosis as an 18 year old