AskDocDoc
/
/
/
What supplements should I take for severe vitamin D and B12 deficiencies and low HDL levels?
FREE!Ask Doctors — 24/7
Connect with Doctors 24/7. Ask anything, get expert help today.
500 doctors ONLINE
#1 Medical Platform
Ask question for free
00H : 23M : 33S
background image
Click Here
background image
General Health
Question #29812
154 days ago
456

What supplements should I take for severe vitamin D and B12 deficiencies and low HDL levels?

Client_099764

I have severe deficiency of vitamin d and deficiency of vitamin B12 and my good HDL is low so what should I do or can you suggest me the medicine or supplements which I have to take

How long have you been aware of your vitamin deficiencies?:

- Less than 1 month

What symptoms are you experiencing related to these deficiencies?:

- Numbness or tingling

Have you made any dietary changes recently?:

- No changes made

Are you currently taking any supplements or medications?:

- No, none at all

How often do you engage in physical activity?:

- Rarely

Do you have any underlying health conditions?:

- No, I'm generally healthy

How is your overall diet like?:

- Vegetarian or vegan
FREE
Question is closed
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously
Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential.
No sign-up needed.
CTA image asteriksCTA image

Doctors' responses

Hello dear As per clinical history it seems Deficiency of vitamin d In addition Low hdl below 40 suggest chances of atherosclerosis Vitamin d is regained mazorly by Milk Eggs Nuts So i suggest you to please get following tests done for confirmation Please share the result with general physician medicine for better clarity In addition dietary modification are must Serum d3 Serum b 12 Lipid profile CBC Cholesterol levels In addition Reduce fat intake specially saturated fat Avoid high protein diet and desi ghee Increase intake of light food Switch to pulses and avoid non vegetarian diet if taking Avoid high refined and junk food Exercise regularly with brisk walking of 30 minutes for 3-5 km Avoid alcohol or smoking Hopefully you recover soon Regards

3585 answered questions
70% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies

For addressing severe vitamin D deficiency, consider taking vitamin D3 supplements, as it’s more effective in raising and maintaining vitamin D levels compared to D2. Typically, a weekly dose of 50,000 IU for 6-8 weeks is suggested for severe deficiency, followed by a maintenance dose of 1,000-2,000 IU daily, but exact dosages should be tailored based on your specific levels and monitored by a healthcare provider. Your skin’s exposure to sunlight, dietary intake, and absorption capacity can influence the effectiveness, so these factors might adjust your treatment plan. For vitamin B12 deficiency, oral supplements can usually be effective if your levels are moderately low. Start with 1,000 to 2,000 mcg daily, or if absorption issues exist, consider monthly B12 injections as an alternative. Your doctor might check if you’re absorbing the supplements properly since certain conditions like pernicious anemia or gastrointestinal issues can affect absorption. Increasing dietary sources can support your treatment – include more fortified cereals, dairy, and lean meats if possible. Low HDL can be improved by lifestyle changes more so than supplements. Regular physical activity, healthy fats found in olive oil, nuts, and fatty fish, and cutting out trans fats are crucial. You might not require medications specifically for raising HDL but addressing overall cholesterol profile with your doctor might be useful. Regular monitoring of your levels is important, so follow up with your healthcare provider to adjust your regimen according to lab results. Lifestyle alterations such as quitting smoking, reducing alcohol intake, and maintaining a healthy weight can also contribute to higher HDL levels. Remember to have your levels rechecked after 3-4 months to see how you’re responding to supplements and lifestyle changes, adjusting treatment as necessary.

21794 answered questions
91% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously

Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential. No sign-up needed.

About our doctors

Only qualified doctors who have confirmed the availability of medical education and other certificates of medical practice consult on our service. You can check the qualification confirmation in the doctor's profile.


Dog vaccine related issues regarding symptoms
Is it necessary to get a rabies vaccination after a minor dog scratch?
I think I may have an concussion
What should I do after accidentally taking 7 Enzoflam pills in an hour without any symptoms?
I think I have an a issue with my anus andIdont know what to do
What are stronger treatments for severe motion sickness that don't respond to Meclizine or Dimenhydrinate?
I need help thank you very much
how to reduce pain in the chest ?
I don’t know what’s happening to my body
What causes swollen legs in a diabetic patient with a history of dilated cardiomyopathy?
Post menopausal spotting after 12 months of last period.
What should I do if I'm feeling nausea, chest sensations, heavy breathing, and dizziness after eating?
What tests should I undergo for anemia-like symptoms, fatigue, and muscle twitches at 18 years old?
What to do for severe Vitamin D deficiency with muscle pain and anxiety symptoms?
Como dejar de ahogarme seguidamente creo que es con mi saliva
What is the best way to improve energy levels, gain weight, and treat hair fall and allergies in a 21-year-old?
bhumi amla how to use
how to control body heat
I want to know about my health reportwith symptoms
why do i keep losing weight for no reason?
Liver enzymes, the spot and sgpt value is 50
Is Naproxen Safe for Elderly Patients with Back Pain?
ors water benefits
if body gets heat what are the symptoms
how to cool the body
yoga therapy online training
How To Fight Obesity At Home?
What Are The Causes of Fatigue and Elevated Globulin Levels in Older Adults?
infection in ear
what is a symptom of bacterial pharyngitis?