AskDocDoc
FREE!Ask Doctors — 24/7
Connect with Doctors 24/7. Ask anything, get expert help today.
500 doctors ONLINE
#1 Medical Platform
Ask question for free
00H : 46M : 51S
background image
Click Here
background image
Digestive Health
Question #27151
217 days ago
446

rajma side effects

Arush

I am really worried about what I've been feeling after eating rajma. Last week, I made this huge pot of rajma because my family loves it. I thought I was being all smart and healthy, but now I’m not so sure. Like, 2 days after devouring my rajma, I started feeling bloated and it got worse with each meal. It’s like my stomach just doesn’t agree with rajma anymore or something! I should mention that I’ve always enjoyed rajma, no issues until now. Anyway, the bloating turns into mild cramps and a bit of gas, which is super embarrassing. Plus, I noticed I’ve been a little more fatigued than usual. Could it be that rajma side effects are more common than I thought? I mean, I read somewhere that rajma could even interfere with digestion for some people?! I thought I was in the clear, but now I'm not too sure if I should continue to eat rajma or if there’s a way to prepare it that avoids these rajma side effects. Anyone else been through this or have any advice on dealing with rajma? Like, what can I do? Should I cut it out completely or maybe try eating it a different way? Thanks!

FREE
Question is closed
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously
Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential.
No sign-up needed.
CTA image asteriksCTA image

Doctors' responses

What you’re describing isn’t uncommon when it comes to consuming rajma, or kidney beans, but it’s worth noting that for most people, rajma can be a nutritious part of a balanced diet. The issues you’re experiencing, like bloating, gas, and cramps, might be linked to oligosaccharides, a type of complex sugar in beans that some people have difficulty digesting. These sugars can ferment in the gut, leading to the bloating and gas you’ve mentioned. It’s possible that changes in your gut flora, or the way you prepared the beans could be contributing to your symptoms.

To ease these symptoms, consider soaking the rajma for a minimum of 8 hours or overnight and then cooking them thoroughly. This process can help reduce the oligosaccharides content, making it easier on your digestion. Adding a pinch of asafoetida (hing) while cooking can also help reduce gas. Also, make sure you consume the rajma with other foods that are easier on the stomach, like cooked rice or quinoa, and avoid combining them with other gas-producing foods like broccoli or cabbage in the same meal. If bloating and discomfort persist, or if you feel these symptoms have started affecting your daily life, it would be a good idea to consult with a healthcare provider for personalized advice. Fatigue could be due to various factors, including diet — it’s wise to observe if eliminating or reducing rajma helps this symptom. But, don’t overlook other possible causes of fatigue, like stress, sleep, hydration, or nutritional imbalances. Cutting rajma temporarily might give you an idea if it’s the culprit, but if symptoms return or worsen, re-evaluation would be needed.

21794 answered questions
91% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously

Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential. No sign-up needed.

About our doctors

Only qualified doctors who have confirmed the availability of medical education and other certificates of medical practice consult on our service. You can check the qualification confirmation in the doctor's profile.