AskDocDoc
/
/
/
Seeking Advice on OCD Treatment Options
FREE!Ask Doctors — 24/7
Connect with Doctors 24/7. Ask anything, get expert help today.
500 doctors ONLINE
#1 Medical Platform
Ask question for free
00H : 13M : 20S
background image
Click Here
background image
Mental & Emotional Health
Question #28730
191 days ago
527

Seeking Advice on OCD Treatment Options

Client_3fc49a

Dear Doctor, I have severe OCD, especially related to compulsions. Obsessions: I have very disturbing sexual obsessions—sexual thoughts and images, violent thoughts, concerns about symmetry and cleanliness. For example, sexual thoughts come to my mind and do not go away quickly. I also have sexual obsessions regarding people I interact with, especially schoolmates. Overall, sexual obsessions are the strongest for me. I have undergone psychotherapy, which has been very effective. After three months, my OCD symptoms have decreased significantly. However, sometimes, for example while studying or under academic pressure, the obsessions become stronger. When my academic workload is low, my obsessions are weaker. They also worsen when I am under social pressure. I also read a book that helped me a lot: “Unlocking the Obsessive Brain” from UCLA in New York. Compulsions: I have the compulsion to pull or pick (skin/hair), but my compulsions are much less severe compared to my obsessions. I am 17 years old. Based on my research from books and other sources, SSRIs seem suitable for me, especially Sertraline and Fluoxetine, but I am worried about their side effects and whether they could harm me. If possible, could you advise which medication would be most suitable for me? I have had OCD for approximately three years, as far as I can remember, but I cannot be sure about my childhood. In the last six months, my symptoms have become strong enough to affect my daily life. In conclusion, after three months of psychotherapy, about half of my OCD symptoms have improved, but sometimes they become strong again, and I feel I need medication.

How would you rate the severity of your OCD symptoms currently?:

- Severe, significantly impacts daily life

Have you previously tried any medications for your OCD?:

- No, I haven't tried any

How often do you experience these obsessions and compulsions?:

- Frequently, almost daily
FREE
Question is closed
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously
Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential.
No sign-up needed.
CTA image asteriksCTA image

Doctors' responses

You are a 17-year-old experiencing daily worsening of obsessive thoughts consistent with Obsessive compulsive disorder, and it is very positive that psychotherapy has already helped you significantly. However, since symptoms still persist and affect your daily life, adding medication can be beneficial, but this must be done under the supervision of a psychiatrist, especially at your age. The most commonly used and effective medications are Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors such as fluoxetine, sertraline, or fluvoxamine, which help reduce obsessive thoughts and anxiety over time. These medicines require proper dosing, monitoring, and follow-up to avoid side effects and ensure safety. You should not start any medication on your own. In summary, your condition is treatable, therapy is already helping, and with proper psychiatric guidance, combining therapy with medication can further improve your symptoms and quality of life.

2117 answered questions
59% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies

Hello dear See ocd is not a disease but is a combination of strict regular habits and anxiety. Iam suggesting some precautions for improvement Please follow them for atleast two months Do physical exercise atleast half an hour daily for 5 months Do meditation Take good balanced diet for good health Engage in social media Indulge in hobbies like reading and writing Avoid overthinking Avoid junk food and alcohol/ smoking Set your goals for every day Hopefully improvement will occur In case of no improvement in 2 month consult psychiatrist in person for better clarity Regards

3585 answered questions
70% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies

When considering medication for OCD, SSRIs like Sertraline and Fluoxetine are indeed commonly prescribed options. They are often effective in reducing the intensity of obsessions and compulsions. Both medications have a well-documented use in OCD treatment, though they can affect individuals differently. Side effects might include nausea, headache, sleep disturbances, or sexual dysfunction, but these often vary in intensity and occurrence from person to person. Typically, the benefits will outweigh potential side effects, and using them under the guidance of a healthcare professional helps ensure that any adverse effects are appropriately managed. It’s crucial that dosage and choice between Sertraline and Fluoxetine be personalized based on your medical history, potential interactions with other medications or conditions, and specific symptom profile.

Since you’re 17, discussing these options with a psychiatrist or your current healthcare provider, who’s familiar with your case, would be crucial before starting any medication. They can guide you through an initial low-dose trial and gradual dosage adjustments to minimize side effects. Also, because psychotherapy has shown positive results for you, a combined approach – continuing cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) alongside medication – may provide comprehensive management of your symptoms. Remember that managing stress, in general, can also significantly aid symptom control. Techniques like mindfulness, regular physical activity, and sufficient sleep can help maintain a balanced mental state. However, any treatment decisions should be personalized by a clinician who can continually assess and adjust your management plan as necessary.

21727 answered questions
91% best answers
Accepted response

0 replies

Hello

You’ve described your situation very clearly, and it’s encouraging that psychotherapy has already reduced your symptoms significantly. For a 17-year-old with persistent symptoms that still interfere with daily life, adding medication to therapy is a standard and evidence-based next step for managing Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder.

About medications: Both Sertraline and Fluoxetine are commonly used and considered safe for adolescents when prescribed and monitored by a qualified clinician. They do not harm the brain or personality, and many young people take them temporarily while therapy continues.

Side effects: Most are mild and temporary (nausea, headache, sleep changes, slight anxiety at the start). Serious side effects are uncommon, and doctors begin with a low dose and adjust gradually to minimize risk. These medications are not addictive.

Which is “most suitable”? There is no single best choice for everyone, but in adolescents:

• Sertraline is often chosen when anxiety and intrusive thoughts are prominent. • Fluoxetine is often chosen because it has a long safety track record and once-daily dosing. Both are reasonable options; the final decision depends on your medical history, weight, sleep pattern, and response to therapy.

Important practical points: • Continue psychotherapy (especially CBT with exposure and response prevention), because medication works best together with therapy. • It may take 4–8 weeks to see clear improvement after starting medication. • Symptoms often flare during academic or social stress—this pattern is very typical in OCD and does not mean treatment is failing.

When medication is strongly considered: • Symptoms remain severe despite therapy • Daily functioning (study, sleep, relationships) is affected • Distress is high or relapses occur with stress

Your situation—partial improvement but ongoing significant symptoms—fits this category, so discussing medication with a psychiatrist is very reasonable.

Take care Regards

1986 answered questions
57% best answers

0 replies
FREE! Ask a Doctor — 24/7,
100% Anonymously

Get expert answers anytime, completely confidential. No sign-up needed.

About our doctors

Only qualified doctors who have confirmed the availability of medical education and other certificates of medical practice consult on our service. You can check the qualification confirmation in the doctor's profile.


What could cause intense fluctuating symptoms like fatigue, palpitations, and anxiety after meals?
Confused and Unstable mind. how to stay calm and honest
Can I get psychiatric medication prescribed here?
Struggling with Memory Issues and Mental Health Conditions
What is causing my auditory hallucinations and feelings of being controlled by a famous person?
Seeking Psychiatrist for OCD Medication
What to do for jaw muscle tightness and trouble sleeping for 3 days?
What should I do if I'm 17 and feeling hopeless, depressed, and having daily headaches?
What is causing my voices and feelings of being controlled by a famous person?
How to heal depression and how to get over it?
How long should I take medication for OCD before I recover completely?
What is causing my fear and anxiety around more intelligent people after OCD treatment?
How to reduce anxiety and panic attacks
Struggling with Memory Issues and Anxiety After Substance Abuse
What is the treatment for anger issues and poor sleep after 15 years of stress and anxiety?
What to do if I'm feeling hopeless and struggling with health issues after losing my father to suicide?
Anxiety and depression tablets consumption
How to get rid of OCD and stress?
Why do I feel happier during holidays and with family compared to school time?
Can I work night shifts if I have chronic migraines and dizziness?
Can I take 0.5 Xanax after taking 10mg Valium daily for years and last dose was 24 hours ago?
I am feeling tired always, even after sleeping well and maintaining a decent diet
Insomnia depression anxiety mood swings
How to treat overactive thyroid
Brain Zaps Associated with Effexor During Stress
Seeking Advice on Medication for OCD Symptoms
What could be causing my intense and fluctuating symptoms like fatigue, palpitations, and nausea for over three months?
What could be causing my memory issues and fatigue after past depression and anxiety at 19?
OCD relief and to avoid mental depression
Seeking Medication for Worsening Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder